Food safety training
City of Gold Coast Environmental Health Officers administer the Queensland Food Act 2006 and the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code, which relate to those food businesses which local governments are required to licence*.
The City conducts regular food safety training courses (non-accredited), aimed at providing its primary clients, the city's licensed* food business staff, with an understanding of the causes and the prevention of food-borne illness (food poisoning).
* licensed under the Queensland Food Act 2006
Cost and eligibility
City of Gold Coast courses are free to the following:
- Eligible persons who are directly associated with any food business which is licensed with the City under the Queensland Food Act 2006. This includes all commercial take-aways, bakeries, restaurants, food vans, caterers, aged care facilities, school canteens (private) and vessels.
- Applicants that can demonstrate that they own, rent or lease a rateable property that is within the City.
- Applicants that are from a registered charity, voluntary sporting community, religious or incorporated not for profit organisation.
Those who do not meet the above criteria are welcome to undertake the course at a cost of $90 (inclusive of GST).
If you are not sure of your eligibility for the free course, please contact us using the phone number or email address provided below, for advice prior to booking a course.
Food Safety Training course is held on the ground floor of the Council's Bundall Administration Centre located on Karp Court. Metered car parking is available on Frigo Court ($5 per day), or next to the Arts Centre ($3 per day).
Please refer to the precinct map for further details of car parking locations.
Courses are conducted from 8.30am to 12.30pm and participants are asked to present at the administration foyer, next to customer service, no later than 8.20am on the day. Allow extra travelling time for traffic and parking. A light morning tea is provided.
Please advise if we can do anything to assist your participation in this training session, e.g. large print information.
- Wednesday 27 January 2016
- Tuesday 23 February 2016
- Thursday 31 March 2016
- Tuesday 26 April 2016
- Thursday 26 May 2016
- Tuesday 28 June 2016
- Thursday 28 July 2016
- Tuesday 30 August 2016
- Thursday 29 September 2016
- Tuesday 25 October 2016
- Thursday 24 November 2016
Bookings for the above dates are now being taken.
Phone: 07 5581 6722
Fax: 07 5581 7693
All prospective course applicants must complete and return an application form at least one week before the preferred course date.
Letters which confirm the offer of attendance will be sent to the food business and the applicant.
If you are the person nominated and accepted for a particular course but cannot attend on the day, please advise us at the contact details listed above.
We cater for certain numbers and, unfortunately, failure to attend without prior advice may result in a fee being levied on the business.
This does not apply if the business sends another person in the place of someone unable to attend.
For information on the courses, find links to relevant websites below.