Abandoned vehicles are an unsightly and sometimes unsafe intrusion into our local streets and suburbs, as well as highways and reserves throughout the city.
City of Gold Coast's (City) Local Law officers will investigate reports of abandoned vehicles and determine what action needs to be taken. Officers need to first establish if a vehicle is actually abandoned, or if it has been left unattended for a valid reason.
Most abandoned vehicles are removed within a few days of reporting.
If you want to report a suspected abandoned vehicle, please:
- phone us on 07 5581 6284 or
- download and return the Abandoned Vehicle Service Request form.
Release of impounded vehicles
Impounded vehicles will only be released to the rightful owner/agent and only after a Release of Impounded Vehicle form has been successfully lodged. Persons claiming right of possession/ownership must provide evidence of ownership before any vehicle will be released.
Impounded vehicles must be collected from the City's Abandoned Vehicle Yard during the specified vehicle release times. Vehicle release times are on Tuesdays from 9am to 12 noon and Thursdays from 1pm to 4pm.
Abandoned vehicle auctions
The City regularly offers impounded vehicles for sale by public auction, in accordance with provisions of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995. The auctions are held every eight to nine weeks at 196 Old Pacific Highway, Pimpama.
Date of next auction
- Wednesday, 5 March 2014
- Viewing is available from 10am to 12 noon.
- Vehicles are sold in current condition and unregistered. Full payment in cash or by certified bank cheque is required by 2.30pm on the same day.
- Vehicles are to be collected by 3pm the next day, or the deposit is forfeited.
- Children (under 16 years), animals and alcohol are not permitted in the depot grounds. Enclosed footwear is compulsory.
- The auctions are in accordance with powers vested under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995.
For more information, contact us.