Abandoned vehicles are an unsightly and sometimes unsafe intrusion into our local streets and suburbs, as well as highways and reserves throughout the city.
Gold Coast City Council's Local Law officers will investigate reports of abandoned vehicles and determine what action needs to be taken. Of course it is necessary to first establish if a vehicle is actually abandoned, or if it has been left unattended for a valid reason.
Most abandoned vehicles are removed within a few days of reporting.
Should you wish to report a suspected abandoned vehicle, please:
- telephone Council on (07) 5581 6284 or
- download and return the Abandoned Vehicle Service Request Form.
Release of impounded vehicles
Impounded vehicles will only be released to the rightful owner/agent and only after a Release of Impounded Vehicle form has been successfully lodged. Persons claiming right of possession/ownership must provide evidence of ownership before any vehicle will be released.
Impounded vehicles must be collected from Council's Abandoned Vehicle Yard during the specified vehicle release times. Vehicle release times are Tuesday from 9am to 12 noon and Thursday from 1pm to 4pm.
Abandoned vehicle auctions
Council regularly offers impounded vehicles for sale by public auction, in accordance with provisions of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995. The auctions are held every eight to nine weeks at 196 Old Pacific Highway, Pimpama.
Date of next auction
- Wednesday 12 June 2013 at 12 noon
Gold Coast City Council Impound Yard
196 Old Pacific Highway, Pimpama
Gold Coast City Council will offer impounded vehicles for sale by public auction on the above date. If you wish to claim ownership of a vehicle please contact Council immediately (proof of ownership and fees apply).
- Viewing is available from 10am to 12 noon.
- Vehicles are sold in current condition and unregistered. Full payment in cash or by certified bank cheque is required by 2.30pm on the same day.
- Vehicles are to be collected by 3pm the next day, or the deposit is forfeited.
- Children (under 16 years), animals and alcohol are not permitted in the depot grounds. Enclosed footwear is compulsory.
- The auctions are in accordance with powers vested under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995.
For more information, contact Council on (07) 5581 6284.