Active & Healthy program
Your health matters and the choices you make today have a massive impact on your quality of life. In order to be healthy, you must decide to be healthy and from this point forward you can start putting in the necessary time and effort to live a healthy lifestyle.
Have you participated in one of our Active & Healthy activities? If so, we would love your feedback. Please click here to have your say.
Active & Healthy lifestyle program out now
View program dates and times by category below:
- Active ageing
- Active kids
- Active parents
- All ability sports
- Craft, music and education
- Group fitness
- Healthy eating
- Indigenous activities
- Martial arts
- Mental health recovery
- Skate and scooter
- Sport and recreation
- Tai Chi
- Water fitness
- Water sport
- Wellbeing workshops
Make the decision to be healthy
The Active & Healthy lifestyle guide is here to encourage you to decide to be healthy and offers a whole array of free and low cost sport, recreation, fitness and wellness activities to achieve that healthy lifestyle on a daily basis.
Featured activities in the program include:
- free tai chi class in 20 locations across the city
- over 40 free or low coast yoga classes
- over 70 free Heart Foundation walks run weekly
- nine free parkrun events offering a free, five kilometre run /walk every Saturday at 7am
- $3 Active & Healthy aqua and deep water running classes
- senior fitness and rehabilitative classes for those with mobility concerns or illnesses
- free kids after school program and activities for three to five year olds and their parents
- mums and bubs fitness classes and stroller groups
- special focus on activities to assist those with mental health concerns, with walking groups, specialised yoga and pilates and aqua based programs
- free healthy cooking workshops in libraries and over 60 different health and wellness seminars and workshops and much more.
If you would like to receive a printed copy of the booklet, please email your name and postal address to email@example.com.
Subscribe to our mailing list
Keep up to date with the all the great Active & Healthy activities and school holiday programs we have on offer. Subscribe now, and get updates delivered direct to your inbox.
View our Information Privacy Notice below.
Select from the drop-down list below to find out about our Active & Healthy programs.
School holiday program
Active & Healthy Mental Health Program
Get involved with the Active & Healthy Mental Health Program and join the movement to help create a program specifically for people with a mental illness. This program will highlight all the activities running across the City of Gold Coast that support opportunities for people with a mental illness to become active and healthy.
Start your own health and fitness journey today
- Check out our online calendar or download the Active & Healthy program booklet and find an activity that suits you.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear, hat and sunscreen.
- Bring along a towel, water bottle and any other equipment listed for your activity.
- Call the instructor if a booking is required.
It only takes a small change. Instead of telling yourself you can't, tell yourself you can.
Our Active & Healthy program encourages all Gold Coasters to make being active part of their everyday lives. No matter what your activity and fitness level, the Active & Healthy program can help motivate you to improve. The Active and Healthy program is also designed to get the whole family active as well as seniors. Regular physical activity is important throughout life, especially into old age.
Regular physical activity can help keep us physically and mentally fit, as well as healthy and happy. It also plays a vital role in keeping our weight under control. Daily life is full of opportunities for putting our energy to good use, so why not take advantage of it?
City of Gold Coast is undertaking a social media trial to determine if residents would like to be able to search under their suburb. Find out more on our Active & Healthy suburbs page.
- over 170 free and low cost Active & Healthy activities per week
- fitness activities including tai chi, yoga, group fitness, stroller groups, small sports, senior exercise classes and much more
- sport and recreation activities such as walking and running groups, cycling workshops, parkruns and various sporting activities to try out
- wellbeing and healthy cooking workshops and seminars
- nature based activities including NaturallyGC workshops, community planting programs, beach care and workshops and programs at the Botanic Gardens
- lifestyle activities such as craft in the park, rainbow tie dye spiral workshops, photography walks and pop up playgrounds
- new Yugambeh Mobo activities and events to connect residents to local Aboriginal stories, language, tastes and culture
- school holiday program.
Contact our Active & Healthy team by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07 5581 7723.
Find out how to become a part of our Active & Healthy programs:
Partner with Active and Healthy
The City's Active & Healthy team is interested in partnering with individuals and organisations in the fitness, sport, recreation or wellness industry of the Gold Coast. For more information, visit our Partner with Active & Healthy page.
Opportunity to have your active and healthy activities listed in our school holiday program
Expression of interest for organisations, fitness professionals and businesses offering sport, recreation, fitness and wellness programs for children and youth up to 18 years of age.
The City’s Active & Healthy team compiles a holiday program that encourages children and young people up to the age of 18 years to lead an active and healthy lifestyle during their school breaks. You can apply to have your activities listed in our Active & Healthy school holiday program.
The program runs over each school holiday
Benefits of being involved
- access to parks and community facilities to run your activities and programs
- exposure of your organisation through a city-wide initiative which is supported by a marketing and social media campaign
- development of collaborative partnerships within the sport, fitness and wellness industry on the Gold Coast
- working together to enable children and young people to lead healthier and happier lives and have more ‘green’ time and less ‘screen’ time.
To be involved you must have the following:
- sufficient qualifications in your professional field and experience delivering group based programs/activities for the community
- activities cater for children and young people up to 18 years of age
- affordable rates, nothing over $15 per hour
- $10 million public liability insurance (individuals or businesses)
- current first aid certificate
- current commission for children blue card.
What we need from you:
- details, dates of the activities and programs you offer, noting applicable ages
- location where programs are running or where you would like to run them
- ideas or suggestions for new activities that you would like to offer through this program
- ensure you have approval to run the activity in the location. It is your responsibility to find locations for your activity
- Event and activity accessibility checklist - good access is important for everyone, whether it is a person walking or jogging, a mother pushing a pram, a person using a wheelchair or mobility aid, or a person recovering from injuries or medical conditions. The purpose of this simple checklist will help you to identify access barriers and/or access opportunities which will make your activity more accessible. As a general rule, it is always best to ask the attendees what adjustments they may require. Please assess the location where you will be undertaking the activity and answer 'Y' or 'N'.
How to apply:
Prior to each school holiday, we'll publish an application form for you to complete and return to email@example.com by the date advertised.
Watch this space for our expression of interest for the next school holidays.
Share your programs and workshops through our Active & Healthy Mental Health program
We are currently calling for Mental Health First Aiders who are running community activities across the city such as group fitness/recreation programs, nutrition and healthy/lifestyle workshops, come and try days/training sessions and sport/wellness community events. Apply to be part of the new Active & Healthy Mental Health Program. This program is working in partnership with the Active & Healthy Recovery Project.
Council of the City of Gold Coast (Council) is collecting your personal information to update and maintain Council's customer information records and so we may contact you. Your subscription to these eNewsletters is voluntary. This eNewsletter is distributed using tools provided by Campaign Monitor, an Australian company with servers in the United States of America (USA). Information you provide when you subscribe will be transferred to Campaign Monitor's server in the USA. By subscribing, you agree to this transfer. Council will manage your information according to the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). Except as described above, your personal details will not be given to any other person or agency external to Council without your consent unless required or authorised by law.
- Active & Healthy school holiday program
- Community planting days
- Gold Coast parks
- Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens
- NaturallyGC program