Gold Coasters - young and old - should incorporate regular physical activity into their everyday lives. Regular physical activity is important throughout life, especially into old age and just being active will do your health wonders and will keep the body strong.
Exercise does not have to be strenuous or hard. It is best to choose activities that fit into your daily routine that speed your heart rate and breathing, or increase your strength and flexibility.
Activities and events
60 and Better Program
A great program of activities for the older community on the Gold Coast. New members are encouraged to attend. Activities include exercise classes, walking groups, dancing, card games, craft afternoons and regular day trips.
For more information phone (07) 5525 6466.
Activities on offer for seniors include:
- Tai Chi - Great for creating strength and health in a relaxing and slow moving session - Free.
- Dr Cornish Walking Program - Promotes healthy exercise habits via a medically supervised program - Free.
- Heart Foundation Walking Program- Meet new people and enjoy a gentle walk with a group of friendly people -Free.
- I Love Me - Join in these fun and motivating exercise classes that incorporates dance, music and movement.
- Nifty over fifty - Improve your flexibility and strength in this group outdoor exercise session.
- Health Ventures technique and maintenance classes - Improve your strength, balance, flexibility and heart health in these medically supervised classes. Suitable for those who are unfit, lacking in confidence or with existing chronic conditions.
- MAD - Mature and determined aqua classes - Low impact water based aqua classes designed for seniors. Conducted at Southport, Nerang and Helensvale pools.
- Fit and Fabulous for Over 50's - Improve your flexibility and strength in this group outdoor exercise session.
- Pilates for Back Care - A gentle class that will help you strengthen the deep support muscles around the spine while engaging both mind and body as you work towards a strong and healthy back.
Rock n roll dancing
Get away from your worries and enjoy life through music and dance with the guys from Coast to Coast Rock n Roll. A fun way for people who remember that era, or those with an interest in it, to exercise without noticing it because it is so much fun, meet people and enjoy the music.
Coast to Coast Rock n Roll runs an evening of free music, fun and dance each Thursday at 6.45 pm at the Helensvale Senior Citizens Centre.
For more information call Coast to Coast Rock n Roll, Peter and Lyn on (07) 5529 6244.
Gold Coasters are living longer and it is important that you retain your quality of life and independence as long as possible. A healthy lifestyle and good nutrition increases your vitality and energy.
- Department of Health and Ageing - www.health.gov.au
The Citizen Advice Bureau's Community Guide has a range of clubs and organisations from cake decorating to social clubs where you can interact or find others with similar hobbies and interests.
Contact the Active & Healthy Team to:
- Arrange distribution of flyers
- Be added to the mailing list
- Provide feedback or suggestions
- Make general enquiries
Phone: (07) 5581 5233, or