Skipper Program for Designated Drivers
The Skipper program and Designated Driver program both rely on the provision of free soft-drinks to the designated driver of the group as incentive for people to plan ahead and consider how they will get home safely.
In time it is envisaged that the Designated Driver program will supersede the Gold Coast wide Skipper program that was launched by the Department of Main Roads and Transport in 2011. As at May 2012 the Designated Driver has only been rolled out to participating venues in Broadbeach.
The participating venues in these programs are as follows:
- Anglers Arms Hotel - Southport
- Benowa Tavern
- Calypso Hotel - Coolangatta
- Cocktails and Dreams/CD's - Surfers Paradise
- Conrad Jupiters Casino – Broadbeach
- Fisherman's Wharf Tavern - Main Beach
- Hard Rock Cafe - Surfers Paradise
- Highland Park Tavern
- Landsdowne Road Tavern - Surfers Paradise
- Liars Bar, Broadbeach Tavern
- Melba's on the Park - Surfers Paradise
- Mermaid Beach Tavern - Mermaid Beach
- Miami Tavern
- Options Tavern - Westfield, Helensvale
- Oxenford Tavern - Oxenford
- Pacific Pines Tavern
- Palm Beach Hotel
- Parkwood Tavern - Parkwood
- RACV Royal Pines Resort
- Runaway Bay Tavern
- Sin City - Surfers Paradise
- Surfers Paradise Tavern/Beer Garden
- Surfers RSL Club
- The Avenue nightclub - Orchid Avenue, Surfers Paradise
- The Bedroom Lounge Bar and Nightclub - Surfers Paradise
- The Boathouse Tavern - Coomera
- The Drink Nightclub - Surfers Paradise
- The Grand Hotel - Labrador
- The Lost City Hotel - Upper Coomera
- The Shack nightclub - Orchid Avenue, Surfers Paradise
- Wallaby Hotel - Mudgeeraba
- Waxy's Irish Pub - Surfers Paradise
Designated Driver Program
- 1 two 3 Bar
- Alto Cucina & Bar
- Broadbeach Tavern
- Envy Hotel
- Jupiters Hotel & Casino
- Lil Sister
- Love Nightlife
- Moo Moo Bar & Grill
- Onyx Restaurant & Cocktail Bar
Venue terms and conditions
Eligibility of a designated driver to receive free soft drinks is at the discretion of the licensed venues. In both programs the driver has to complete a simple registration process at the bar in order to get a wristband that enables them to order free soft drinks when they choose.
The participating venues are able to impose their own terms and conditions as to the availability of the program, (i.e. a post 8pm program). The venues also reserve the right to cease the promotion if the agreed patron terms and conditions are not followed.
The Oasis Shopping Centre Car Park has generously offered free parking to registered designated drivers: Free Parking available on presentation of designated driver wrist band to be validated at Victor Avenue Booth before 11.45pm.
- For further information on the Skipper program call 1300 360 135 or visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au/safety.com.au
- Further information regarding the Designated Driver program including Patron Terms and Conditions can be found on www.broadbeachgc.com
The Broadbeach Designated Driver Program is a collaborative, harm-minimisation project between, Broadbeach Alliance, Gold Coast City Council, Broadbeach Licensed Venues Association, DRUG ARM Australasia and The Oasis Shopping Centre Car Park.
Further information regarding the Designated Driver program including Patron Terms and Conditions can be found on www.broadbeachgc.com.