Southport General Cemetery
The 4.2 hectare Southport General Cemetery was gazetted on 16 July 1880. It is controlled by the City of Gold Coast (City) as trustee.
The cemetery is located on Queen Street which was the original route to Southport. This route led to the earliest wharf at Broadwater.
Sites are available for purchase within the cemetery.
Monumental - general, infant, Jewish, Islamic, Orthodox and vault sections.
View the Southport General Cemetery layout.
Note: the map in this document depicts the sectional layout of the cemetery only. For information relating to vacant sites within the cemetery, please contact our Cemeteries team for current availability.
Ashes rose garden - single, double and family sites.
Earliest recorded burial
A male pensioner known as Joab who was killed by lightning was buried in 1878.
Even though some of the earliest recorded graves pre-date 1880, this suggests that the area had been an unofficial burial ground for early European settlers.
Some of the oldest graves are in section three of the cemetery.
Approximate burials since first record (as at 2009)
- 4957 burials
- 127 ashes internments