Register and have your say to help shape the City of Gold Coast's (City) future.
The City's community engagement program facilitates and encourages public participation, to generate ideas and feedback that informs good decision-making to help shape our city's future.
To have your say
- Visit gchaveyoursay, the City's online community engagement hub where you can share your comments and suggestions on survey and open discussion forums; and
- Register to receive email updates and invitations to participate in future City community engagements and surveys.
View all consultations
Why is community engagement valuable?
To enable a full decision-making process by Council Committees or Council's elected representatives, City officers may consider and report on a cross-section of information:
- local values
- professional assessments of local needs
- resources availability
- regional guidelines and national / international best practice.
Community engagement plays a key role in generating ideas, collating feedback and developing partnerships that inform good decision making as we shape our City's future. During the community consultation and reporting processes, City officers must be mindful of the resource constraints and best practice standards affecting the project.
In addition to ensuring internal City control of collected information, correct analysis, and transparent reporting to City bodies, good community consultation is able to:
- identify stakeholders – those with an interest in a decision making area - and help define their expectations
- define the agenda – set boundaries for the questions to be asked, encouraging debate around a structured set of opinions
- allow for two-way discussion – dialogue assists in reaching choices acceptable to a wide range of interests
- improve information flow – a wide range of mechanisms are used to invite stakeholders to consultations
- ensure a plan for evaluation.
Objectives of community engagement
- ensure community views are considered in City decisions
- ensure that community consultation is appropriately innovative
- ensure that community consultation is coordinated and integrated in a consistent manner across the City
- ensure meaningful community engagement in consultation
- identify community capacity building areas for strategy development
- establish and maintain partnerships between the City and the community
- build a network of community contacts
- minimise burden on community representation
- adopt the values, behaviours and work plans necessary to give effect to the City of Gold Coast's Community Consultation Policy
- provide planning and evaluation templates to be completed by staff and a registration form for registering community attendance at consultation meetings.
For assistance with speaking to a City officer, please call the National Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50.
Council of the City of Gold Coast (Council) is collecting your personal information in accordance with our Community Consultation Policy to measure community needs and preferences. Participation in the surveys conducted is voluntary. Surveys conducted use Survey Monkey which is based in the United States of America (USA). Information you provide on the survey will be transferred to Survey Monkey's server in the USA. By completing the survey, you agree to this transfer.
The information will only be accessed by authorised Council officers or Council contractors in accordance with the conditions of the Information Privacy Act 2009. Except as described above, your information will not be given to any other person or agency unless you have given us permission or we are required by law.