banner image

Council provides a range of services, activities and facilities for residents and visitors to enjoy.


Rates are a contribution each ratepayer makes to the City of Gold Coast (City) towards the cost of running the city and the provision of community services and facilities.

Some of these services and facilities include the maintenance of beaches, roads and walkways, sporting grounds, parks and gardens, community centres, libraries, the protection of threatened plants and animals, the collection and disposal of waste and recyclables and numerous other community projects.

The information provided in this section (refer to Key Information links below) aims to assist you with understanding the charges on your rate notice, outlines how to pay options, and provides contact details for where to go to get help.

Rate notice

Your City of Gold Coast rate notice is issued twice yearly, usually in January and July, and covers six-monthly billing periods (i.e. January to June, and July to December, unless otherwise required).

For information, visit About your rate notice.

Water and sewerage account

Gold Coast ratepayers receive a water and sewerage account separate from their rate notice.

Your City of Gold Coast water notice is issued twice yearly, usually in January and July, and covers six-monthly billing periods (i.e. January to June, and July to December, unless otherwise required).

For information, visit Water rates and billing.

Pay your rate notice on time and receive a discount

By simply paying your rates on or before the due date of your rate notice, you will receive the City's early payment discount (which is 10 per cent of the General Rate). Pay your rates now using a variety of payment methods available.  

Online enquiry - convenient and instant

Use our online form to receive your up-to-date account balance instantly and/or request a rate or water and sewerage account payment plan.

You can also use this form for the enquiry types below for both rates and water and sewerage accounts. We will respond to these enquiries within 10 working days.  

  • Change of mailing address for notices
  • Request a copy of your rate notices
  • Follow up on an existing enquiry
  • Other account enquiries

Payment plan

Having difficulties paying your rates? You may be eligible to pay off your rates through weekly or fortnightly instalments. Submit your request using our Online rates enquiry form.

Sale of land for arrears of rates

Council of the City of Gold Coast gives notice of properties to be sold by public auction due to non-payment of rates and associated charges. For details visit the Sale of land for arrears of rates page.

Key information

  • Are my rates subject to GST?

    No, rates and charges that appear on your rate notice are exempt from GST.

  • I bought this property but did not own it for the entire rating and/or water consumption period. Why do I have to pay?

    Please check your settlement statement to confirm whether a rate and/or water adjustment was done or contact your solicitor and/or agent for confirmation.

  • I paid my solicitor for taking care of the change of ownership. Why do I have a Property Transfer Fee on my rate notice?

    The fee payable relates to the cost incurred by City of Gold Coast having to change its records to reflect you as the new owner of the property.

  • What does my rating category mean?

    City of Gold Coast operates a differential rating system, which means your land is categorised according to land use and/or demand for or benefit from City Of Gold Coast Services and rated accordingly. Included with the rate notice is an information sheet that explains how property has come to be included in a particular rating category.

  • I have only just purchased the property, am I expected to pay the rate notice?

    Yes, normally any new or unpaid rates owing on a property before purchase should have been adjusted in your favour in settlement figures. You may care to check settlement documents or contact your solicitor to confirm the nature of the rate adjustment made upon settlement.

  • I have retired, am I entitled to receive pension concessions on my rate notice?

    Yes, if the rate notice relates to the property registered in your name and is your permanent place of residence and provided also that you are the holder of either a Queensland Pensioner Concession Card or a Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (for all conditions). A Seniors Card does not qualify. Other conditions apply.

  • What do I need to do to apply for pension concessions?

    To enquire about your eligibility for pensioner rate concessions, please call the Contact Centre on 1300 366 659 as you may be able to apply over the phone.

    Otherwise you can complete an application form at your nearest Council Customer Service Centre. Please bring your current Queensland Pensioner Concession card or Queensland Veterans Affairs' card.

    If you have recently moved to a new address within the City, you will also need to re-apply for pensioner rate concessions on your new property.

  • When is my rate notice due to be paid?

    The rate notice amount is payable by the due date shown on the front of the rate notice. Provided City of Gold Coast receives your payment on or before this date, discount will be allowed. If rates and other charges are not paid by the due date, the discount will be forfeited and the total rates will become overdue and subject to interest penalties.

  • What should I do if I am unable to pay my rates on time?

    If you are unable to pay your rates in full and on time, please contact us before the due date to organise a weekly/fortnightly payment arrangement.

  • If I have a payment arrangement but am unable to make payment when it’s due?

    If you are unable to make a payment as arranged, please contact us beforehand to make alternative arrangements. Otherwise, your existing arrangement may be terminated. You may have to pay backdated interest charges and be exposed to recovery action.

  • Can I pay my rates in advance?

    City of Gold Coast rates can be paid in advance at any time either by making regular payments or making a lump sum payment. Please contact us to discuss payment methods including by Direct Debit.

  • Are my regular payments listed individually on the rate notice?

    No, this would add pages to the rate notice and ultimately increase production and postage costs. Please contact us if you require clarification of your account balance or details of payments received.

  • Is electronic mail delivery available to all ratepayers?

    BPAY View® - Yes, to access BPAY View® you will need to be registered for Internet banking through your participating financial institution.

    Digital Post Australia is only available to ratepayers who have a valid Australian postal address (either a street address, a P O Box, a GPO, a RMB, a Locked bag or a Private bag).

  • Will I receive other City notices or accounts via electronic mail as well?

    At this stage the only notices or accounts available from the City of Gold Coast through BPAY View® or Digital Post Australia are your Rate Notice and Water and Sewerage Rate Notice.

  • What if I'm outside Australia, can I still receive rate notices electronically?

    BPAY View® - Yes, if you use Internet banking through an Australian financial institution. Otherwise, if you only have an overseas bank account, you won't be able to use the BPAY View® service.

    Digital Post Australia - Yes, as long as you have a valid Australian postal address (either a street address, a P O Box, a GPO, a RMB, a Locked bag or a Private bag), otherwise your mail will continue to be posted to you in the traditional manner.

  • Will I still receive a rate notice through the mail once I register to receive notices electronically?

    BPAY View® - No, once you have registered to receive your Rate Notice or Water and Sewerage Rate Notice via BPAY View®, you will no longer receive the notices in the mail.

    Digital Post Australia - No, once your have accepted the City’s Terms and Conditions with your first Rate or Water and Sewerage Rate Notice, you will no longer receive these types of notices in the mail.

  • What about the inserts and brochures that normally come with the hardcopy notice?

    No problem, you'll be able to view all the brochures and notices that normally come in the mail online by clicking on the City of Gold Coast link provided.

  • If I receive my notice electronically can I still use other payment methods?

    BPAY View® - Yes, you can still use any other available payment method (including Direct Debit). However, making payments by BPAY® payment is easy with BPAY View® as the amount to pay and reference numbers will be pre-populated for you.

    Digital Post Australia - Yes, you can still use any other available payment method detailed on the Rate Notice or Water and Sewerage Rate Notice. However, clicking on the ‘Pay Now’ button will direct you to the applicable City of Gold Coast Bill Payment Service page for either the Rates or Water and Sewerage Notices.

  • I'm having trouble registering for BPAY View® or Digital Post Australia and need more information.

    BPAY View® - If you need assistance with registering for Internet banking and/or the BPAY View® service, visit, or contact your financial institution.

    BPAY® and BPAY View® are registered trademarks of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518

    Digital Post Australia - If you need assistance with registering, have forgotten your logon in details or need other assistance for the Digital Post Australia service, visit

  • Water and Sewerage rates notices?

    City of Gold Coast is responsible for water retailing, distribution and wastewater services on the Coast.

    Gold Coast ratepayers will receive a water and sewerage account separate from their rate notice in July.

    The contact telephone number for water enquiries will remain the same - 1300 000 928. All water enquiries and payments will be supported across the Gold Coast at administration centres or branch offices.

    For more information go to Water and Sewerage Rates.