Division 6 - Cr Dawn Crichlow OAM
Division 6 extends westward from the east coast of the Gold Coast and includes the suburbs of Southport (part), Ashmore (part), Parkwood, Labrador (part) and Molendinar.
Phone: 07 5581 6280
Fax: 07 5581 6899
Mobile: 0414 180 677
City of Gold Coast
PO Box 5042
GCMC QLD 9729 Australia
Southport Branch Office
47 Nerang Street, Southport
Councillor (Cr) Crichlow is available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm.
A 'Jill' of all businesses, Councillor Dawn Crichlow says she has had a varied, fun and funny life.
Her talents and business skills have included taxidermy, racehorse training, appaloosa and quarter horse breeding. Not to forget owning and operating successful florist shops, hair salons, a barbershop, children's only hair salon, sandwich bar, and boutique fashion stores.
Each venture has been a personal three-year target except for the City of Gold Coast (the City), to which she was elected in 1991 when she ran to dismantle the Southport Mall because of its negative impact on local traders and called for accountability of rate spending. But, she says she loves her job as a Councillor for the City because it's interesting, diverse, challenging and allows her to concentrate on working with the people of the Gold Coast to protect our great asset.
Originally from Sydney, she studied French and Latin, which gained her entry into St Aidans and Bridgetene Convent after being expelled from Crown Street.
While relaying she was 'advised' as a senior student not to be a 'front person' because of the sour look on her face, she laughs at the irony that she is now a highly recognised local Councillor and very public figure.
Dawn married and moved to the Gold Coast in 1969, but travelled between their cattle properties at Bundarra, Charleville and Jundah, before starting her first Gold Coast business, Hair Biz, at Ashmore Plaza in 1983.
Dawn was awarded an Order of Australia Medal (OAM) on 26 January 2006 for service to the community of the Gold Coast particularly through local government, health, ex-service and sporting organisations.
She was also awarded the Australian Sports Medal - a medal to commemorate Australian achievement in sport - in 2000.
Proud of her area - its infrastructure, community, business, medical, tourism and educational facilities nestled alongside the Broadwater - Dawn strives to make it a warm and friendly place for all residents, visitors and business people.
Dawn takes a personal interest in her area and community issues. Improving the community appeal and use of the Broadwater Foreshore development is a high priority as is maintaining the high standards of the area's parks, reserves and other community facilities.
A tireless and popular community worker, Dawn is patron of countless Gold Coast organisations, including sport, swimming, gymnastics, music and community-based groups.
Getting away from the hustle and bustle of the Gold Coast when she can, Dawn retreats to the 'little farm in the bush' at Inverell, where she catches up with her son, three grandchildren and a different lifestyle.
- City Infrastructure - Chair
- Governance, Administration and Finance
- Economic Development & Major Projects
- Special Budget
- 4CRB Radio - Member
- Amputees Advisory Association Inc - Member
- Australian Volunteer Coast Guard QF1 Southport - Patron
- Cancer Support Sisters - Patron
- CSi Club Southport - Patron
- Drill Dance GC - Patron
- Endeavour Foundation - Patron
- Friends of the Opera Inc - Patron
- Gold Coast Academy of Sport - Patron
- Gold Coast Amateur Radio Society Inc - Patron
- Gold Coast Axemens Club - Patron
- Gold Coast City Brass Band - Patron
- Gold Coast Community Legal Centre and Advice Bureau Inc - Board Member
- Gold Coast Embroiderers Guild - Patron
- Gold Coast Family and History Society - Patron
- Gold Coast and Hinterland Historical Society - Patron
- Gold Coast Little Theatre - Patron
- Gold Coast Seniors on the Net - Patron
- Gold Coast Show Society - Patron
- Gold Coast Sporting Hall of Fame Committee - Member
- Gold Coast Turf Club - Honorary Member
- Goldbridge Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation - Patron
- Griffith School of Medicine - Community Impact Advisory Group
- Institute of Glycomics - Honorary Fellowship
- Loders Creek Catchment Management - Member
- Multicultural Communities Council - Member
- Order of Australia Association - Member
- Parkwood Brothers Sharks Junior Rugby League Club - Patron
- Queensland Naval Brigade - Patron
- Southport Bowls Club - Patron
- Southport Croquet Club - Patron
- Southport and District Orchid Society - Patron
- Southport Scrabble Club
- Southport Runners and Walkers Club - Patron
- Southport Swimming Club - Patron
- Southport Tigers Junior and Senior Rugby League Club - Patron
- Surfers Paradise Brass Band - Patron
- The Southport Amateur Fishing Club - Patron
- TPI Association - Patron
- University of Third Age Inc - Patron
- Division 6 News
- Annual Plan and City Budget
- Council Divisions - maps, plus a listing of Divisions by suburb