banner image

Discover how we are protecting the Gold Coast's natural environment - our spectacular beaches, hinterland ranges, bushland and waterways - and how you can help.

Your feedback is valuable. Help us improve our website by completing this quick survey.

Water leaks

From 1 January 2014, our Water and Sewage Leakage Relief Policy has changed.

Find the link to the Water and Sewage Leakage Relief Policy below.

Leaking pipes, toilets and taps can waste a lot of water, leading to high water bills. For example, a tap that drips once every second will waste up to 33 litres per day.

Leaks can also cause structural damage to your property and even attract termites.

Checking for leaks regularly and repairing them quickly is a simple way to save water and money.

Wherever possible, City of Gold Coast (City) issues letters after meter reads to alert householders whose water use appears to be significantly higher than usual, that they may have a water leak. We recommend householders regularly check their water meter to detect leaks early. Not all water leaks are visible.

This section provides information on how to detect leaks, what to do if you find a leak and how to prevent leaks.

Checking for leaks

The City is responsible for water leaks from the supply system up to and including the water meter. Water leaks that occur from water pipes and fittings on your side of the water meter are the responsibility of the property owner.

If you find a leak, turn off your water supply immediately and call a licensed plumber.

If you think you may have a leak or would like to check, please follow the steps below to read your water meter.

  1. Turn off all taps and water using appliances in and around your premises.
  2. Check your water meter. If the dials on your water meter are moving there could be a leak. If there is no movement on the dials, there may still be a slow leak.
  3. To check further for leaks, do not use any water for at least 30 minutes, then take another reading. If the meter reading has changed, there may be a slow leak.
  4. To fix the leak, check all fixtures and fittings and/or call a licensed plumber.

Plumbing work carried out in Queensland must be completed by a licensed plumber with the appropriate endorsements.

Refer to the Yellow Pages website below to locate a licensed plumber.

How can I prevent leaks?

Preventing leaks in your home could save you money. Here are some simple ways to prevent leaks:

  • take care not to plant large trees over pipes and mains that run through your property as their root growth may damage the pipes
  • root growth can also cause cracks and leaks in your pool; please speak to your local nursery about suitable plants
  • inspect your pool regularly for cracks and signs of leaks
  • ensure automatic watering systems (e.g. pool top up, irrigation) are regularly maintained and checked for leaks
  • turn taps off gently to help lengthen the life of washers
  • if you have a water hammer problem, install water hammer arrestors; by reducing shock, these help extend the life of affected pipes
  • ensure all building and renovation work is undertaken by a licensed professional.

Concealed leakage relief

Save water and money by fixing leaks or plumbing issues quickly. This should be carried out by a licensed plumber.

The City offers relief to customers who have experienced a concealed leak, have had the leak repaired and meet certain eligibility criteria.

Find the link to the Water and Sewage Leakage Relief Policy below. To apply for relief from a concealed leak, we require customers to complete a water and sewage leakage relief application.

To be eligible for leakage relief, the following requirements must be met:

  • the concealed leak was repaired in the main water supply pipe from which water enters the property;
    note: pool leaks, tap leaks, toilet leaks, leaks in the irrigation system and plumbing fixtures are not eligible
  • the leak was repaired within two weeks of notification from the City that a leak may exist
  • proof the leak has been repaired (attach a copy of the plumber’s invoice)
  • the application is made within a term equivalent to one billing period of identification or notification of a potential leak (whichever is sooner)
  • all sections of the application form have been completed.

Please contact us on 1300 000 928 if you have any queries or require further information.

Related information

Jump to key information