Gold Coast Chinatown
Gold Coast Chinatown is an integral part of the revitalisation of Southport as an international CBD for the Gold Coast. Chinatown continues to evolve, offering authentic Asian experiences through an exciting mix of restaurants, cultural festivals and celebration.
Gold Coast Chinatown is one of the world's first modern Chinatowns, uniquely located in the heart of Southport. Chinatown is the place on the Gold Coast to celebrate diversity through culture, design, people and food.
Chinatown will offer something different on the first Saturday of every month when its streets come alive with a range of exciting events such as free films, popup bars, multicultural celebrations and the much loved Chinatown Street Markets.
Chinatown is the place to celebrate the Gold Coast’s diversity through culture, design, people and food, right in the heart of the CBD.
Check out the event dates for details on what’s happening on the first Saturday of every month.
- 7 May - Chinatown Street Markets: Try a range of cuisines from across Asia, 4pm-9pm
- 4 June - Diversity Gold Coast celebration: International street food markets, multicultural entertainment and Citizenship Ceremony, 2pm-8pm
- 2 July - Chinatown Street Markets: Try a range of cuisines from across Asia, 4pm-9pm
- 6 August - Event yet to be announced, stay tuned!
- 3 September - Chinatown Street Markets: Try a range of cuisines from across Asia, 4pm-9pm
- 1 October - Event yet to be announced, stay tuned!
- 5 November - Chinatown Street Markets: Try a range of cuisines from across Asia, 4pm-9pm
- 3 December - Event yet to be announced, stay tuned!
Ride the G: Disembark at the Southport station, Nerang Street.
Ride your bike and park in one of the many bike racks.
Public parking is available at the Athol Paterson, Mal Burke and Carey Park car parks.
Visit our City parking map for details.
Taste your way through Asia with a selection of cuisine from Malaysia, China, Japan, Korea and more.
Experience Asian culture with live music and entertainment.
City of Gold Coast currently has nine Sister Cities Agreements.
The City, through the Mayor's Office, is working closely with our sister cities and partnership cities to inspire the cultural embellishments of Gold Coast Chinatown. A number of Chinese delegations have visited the City to assist with cultural design ideas for the gateways, street furniture, decorative lighting and public art.
The City has been working with Jining City, which donated a carved statue of the great Chinese philosopher Confucius. The Mayor officially accepted the statue on his recent visit to Jining City, which is the birth place of Confucius.
City of Gold Coast is working closely with other cities to design and donate the Paifang and other public art for the precinct.
The Gold Coast Chinatown Precinct Plan includes the streetscape design, retail and events strategies plus investment attraction activities and management.
Download and view the Gold Coast Chinatown Precinct Plan (PDF 16mb)
For more information contact the Gold Coast CBD Team:
Phone: 1300 CBD TEAM (1300 223 832)
- City parking map
- Gold Coast attractions
- Gold Coast CBD
- Sister City Programs and International Partnerships