Local Studies Library
First floor, Southport Branch Library
Corner of Garden and Lawson Streets
Southport QLD 4215
Phone: (07) 5581 7217
Fax: (07) 5581 7214
About the Local Studies Library
Do you want to learn more about the Gold Coast? Curious about photographs from the past? Interested in tracing your family history?
The Local Studies Library holds a wide range of information about the history, culture, environment and development of the Gold Coast region.
To ensure that items are always available for people to use and enjoy, material in the collection cannot be borrowed.
How do I get there?
Ample free car parking is available, accessible from Lawson Street.
View map (courtesy of Google Maps)
- Monday - 9am to 5pm
- Tuesday - 9am to 5pm
- Wednesday - 9am to 5pm
- Thursday - 9am to 5pm
- Friday - 9am to 5pm
- Saturday - 9am to noon
- Sunday - Closed
Services and facilities
- a wide selection of books, newspapers, serials and manuscripts on selected subjects, birth, death, marriage and cemetery indexes, shipping lists, Council minutes, postal directories, maps and oral histories
- Gold Coast historic photographs on a variety of subjects ranging from pioneer days to modern times, available online via Picture Gold Coast (find the link to the Picture Gold Coast website below)
- extensive clipping files on people, places and subjects taken from local and regional newspapers, available for use in the library (these files are not available online)
- microfilm and fiche reader/printers available to view local newspapers and other history resources (it is advisable to book the readers before your visit)
- PCs with internet access and Microsoft Office (bookings advisable)
- photocopying and printing
- disabled parking
Please address any correspondence to the following postal address:
Local Studies Librarian
Gold Coast City Council
PO Box 5042
Gold Coast MC QLD 9729