Statistics for people with disability
These key statistics relate to people with disability in Gold Coast City.
The likelihood of living with disability increases with age. Following national trends, the population of Gold Coast City is ageing and we will see increasing levels of disability in the future.
According to customised Gold Coast City data prepared by .id (the population experts):
- In 2017, there were an estimated 118,729 Gold Coast residents with disability, representing 20.1 per cent of the total Gold Coast population. The Gold Coast had a higher proportion of people with disability than Queensland (17.4 per cent).
- 47.3 per cent of people with disability in Gold Coast City were male and 52.7 per cent were female.
- An estimated 50,550 Gold Coast seniors aged 65 years and over had a disability, representing 42.6 per cent of people with disability.
- The number of Gold Coast residents with disability is expected to increase to 191,954 people by 2036, representing 22.1 per cent of the population.
- 6.6 per cent of Gold Coast children and young people aged 0-24 years had a disability (or 14,365 people); 15.4 per cent of Gold Coast residents aged 25-44 years had a disability (or 18,312 people); 24.4 per cent of Gold Coast residents aged 45-64 years had a disability (or 35,503 people), and; 60.8 per cent of Gold Coast seniors aged 65 years and over had a disability (or 50,550 people).
The table below demonstrates the age distribution of people with disability in Gold Coast City and Queensland.
|Age distribution of people with disability 2017 (% of total people with disability)
||Gold Coast (%)
Need for assistance
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) 2016 Census of Population and Housing:
- 27,500 Gold Coast residents (4.9 per cent of the city's population) have a profound or severe disability, needing assistance in one or more of the three core activity areas of self-care, mobility and communication.
- Over 44,800 residents (9.9 per cent of the population) provided unpaid assistance to a person with a disability in 2016
- Coombabah had the highest proportion of people in need of assistance due to disability (8.1 per cent), followed by Merrimac (7.6 per cent) and Labrador (7.3 per cent).
View interactive map showing distribution of residents across the Gold Coast who need assistance due to disability.
If you require further information, please contact City on 07 5581 6208 or email email@example.com.
Return to top