banner image
Planning & building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

Boundary fences

Boundary fencing is the subject of State legislation (Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011), which is administered by the Department of Justice. This Act defines the law relating to constructing and repairing fences that divide adjoining land.

Generally, owners of adjoining land not divided by an adequate fence are liable to contribute equally to the cost of a dividing fence. It is best to talk to your neighbour about your plans. Discuss the type of fence, the cost and how it will be built. Write out the details once you have reached an agreement.

Should you need to compel the owner of the next-door property to contribute, you must, before construction begins, give notice in writing. This notice should:

  • specify the common boundary to be fenced
  • specify the kind of fence proposed
  • contain a proposal for the fence, including an estimate of cost, contribution required and the method of construction; as a matter of courtesy, two quotes should be supplied.

If your neighbour accepts the proposal, they are bound to pay half the cost. It is a good idea to employ a registered surveyor to define the boundary if you are unsure of the precise location.

Land owned by State and Commonwealth governments, as well as local reserves or public parks, are exempt from the Dividing Fences Act.

Should a dispute arise, your solicitor can offer advice. A free dispute resolution service is also offered by the Alternative Dispute Resolution Centre, which can be contacted in Brisbane on 07 3239 6007 or toll free on 1800 017 288.

The City of Gold Coast should be consulted where the fence:

  • is higher than two metres (an application may be required)
  • forms part of a retaining wall
  • could create a restriction to water runoff
  • is to have some other unusual feature.

Further information

For further information about these instances, contact Development Compliance on: