Planning and building
City of Gold Coast (City) is working hard to build a vibrant city, maintain our enviable Gold Coast lifestyle and ensure our city will be thriving, sustainable and attractive into the future.
Discover how we’re planning for the future of the city, and find the planning and building information you need.
Current Gold Coast Planning Scheme 2003
The Gold Coast Planning Scheme is the current planning tool for the Gold Coast. It is a living document that guides the growth and development of 'Our Living City', the Gold Coast. The Scheme sets out the preferred land use of every Gold Coast property and identifies what natural areas should be protected, where shops, industrial estates and public spaces should be located, and sets standards and criteria for buildings.
City Plan 2015 – planning the future Gold Coast
We are in the process of creating a new City Plan 2015 to prepare the draft City Plan 2015, which will guide the future development of the Gold Coast. The initiative will help the City to maximise benefits of major projects, revitalise key centres, and introduce transit corridors to manage city growth sustainably.
Southport - the city’s CBD is open for business
City of Gold Coast has big plans to revitalise Southport as the city’s CBD. Red tape has been slashed for developers, and significant developments are already underway, including light rail, Chinatown and projects for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Centre Improvement Program
Explore the City’s urban renewal program. It aims to facilitate the physical, economic and social revitalisation of Gold Coast centres.
Planning and development considerations
Planning a development or building project on the Gold Coast?
Whether you need have a planning enquiry, want to carry out a property search or need information on our local heritage register or submitting a development approval, browse our resources.
Ready to build on the Gold Coast?
Explore our information and resources on the things that you may need to consider before and during building.
Lodge a development application
The majority of development applications can now be lodged online through our eLodgement solution.
Need help with a planning matter?
We’ll point you in the right direction with more information documents and forms to help you undertake your project.
Sustainable Planning Act 2009
The Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (SPA) commenced on 18 December 2009. The Act was a result of extensive consultation and implements a number of the planning reforms undertaken by the Queensland State Government. The SPA replaced the Integrated Planning Act 1997 (IPA).
- Construction kickstart - designed to support small to medium-sized businesses and create short-term construction jobs.
- Adopted infrastructure - details how and when adopted infrastructure charges will be applied to development within the Gold Coast.
- Contributed assets - Contributed Assets' latest Bonds and As Constructed Forms and Agreements.
- Planning Tools & Documents: Useful information and forms if you’re planning a project
- Building Tools & Documents: Useful information and forms if you’re building or renovating
- Gold Coast Planning Scheme 2003: Refer to the current planning scheme for the Gold Coast
- Southport Interim Land Use Plan 2013: Refer to the current planning scheme for Southport CBD
- Sustainable Planning Act 2009: Read about the current Queensland Government legislation
- Stormwater Management Strategy: Find out more about the City’s approach to stormwater
- Permits & Licensing: Information on City permits and licensing requirements
- Gold Coast Flora and Fauna: Information for builders and developers on Gold Coast species
- Planning and Development Online