banner image
Planning & building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

Development compliance

Gold Coast City Council provides a development compliance service to action enquiries, requests and complaints regarding:

  • breaches of building legislation
  • breaches of the Gold Coast Planning Scheme
  • breaches of the Sustainable Planning Act
  • carrying out building work outside the permitted working hours
  • dilapidated/dangerous buildings and structures
  • house removals and relocations
  • inspections and advice on backpacker accommodation/residential services buildings
  • inspections on new VXOs
  • issue enforcement notices for offences under the Sustainable Planning Act and the Building Act
  • Material Change of Use compliance inspections
  • out of hours building permits
  • stormwater complaints about connecting to Council's drainage system
  • swimming pool fencing (refer to the Department of Housing and Public Works website in the Related Information section below for information on pool safety)
  • unlawful building work
  • unlawful VXOs
  • verification for sealing of building format plans.

Please note that special inspections are no longer a function of Council. If you require a special inspection, please contact a private certifying company.


Gold Coast City Council takes complaints seriously. Your information will be treated in accordance with the Gold Coast City Council Information Privacy Statement.

People are sometimes unaware that their activities are causing a nuisance or are a breach of legislation. Council encourages all residents to talk to their neighbours about nuisance problems before making a complaint.

Making a complaint

Customers are encouraged to lodge their complaints in writing, as this will assist Council in understanding the nature of the complaint and help to ensure that the facts obtained are correct. To make a complaint to the Council about a development compliance issue, your complaint must include:

  • your name, address and telephone number – this information is kept confidential
  • the address of the source of the nuisance
  • a brief description in your own words of the complaint
  • the name of the person who is believed to be responsible
  • the date/dates that the nuisance occurred, or is occurring
  • the type of nuisance that is occurring.

Your complaint must be in writing.

Please use the Customer Action Request form below or write to Council at the following address:

Gold Coast City Council
PO Box 5042
Gold Coast Mail Centre  QLD  9729
Fax: (07) 5596 3653

Note: making a complaint may result in you being summoned to appear in court as a witness, if Council needs to instigate legal action to resolve the issue.

What happens when a complaint is received?

  1. Compliance officers research all files associated with the premises in question.
  2. Compliance officers carry out an investigation/inspection of the premises.
  3. If the investigation/inspection reveals a breach of the relevant legislation, a notice and/or fine may be issued or where appropriate, legal action may be instigated.

Will I be updated on the progress of my request?

If a complaint investigation finds no breach, we may advise you that based on information held by Council, no further action is required. We will not issue updates during the investigation however, you may request an update on your complaint at any time. Please allow at least 30 business days from your original request to allow us a reasonable amount of time to investigate the matter.

On receipt of a written request, Council may provide the following types of information:

  • The actions Council has taken to investigate a complaint matter (e.g.: Council officers have visited the property)
  • Any enforcement action which has been or is being taken (e.g.: a fine, notice or other correspondence has been issued, resolution of the matter is now subject to legal proceedings)
  • The outcome of the investigation.

Please use the Request for Information Regarding Status of Investigation form below or write to Council at the following address:

Gold Coast City Council
PO Box 5042
Gold Coast Mail Centre  QLD  9729
Fax: (07) 5596 3653

Note: Please ensure that you include your name, address and the customer request number that you received in reply to your original request.

Common complaints not handled by Development Compliance

The following complaints are not handled by Council and should be directed to the relevant authority:

  • noise from music, parties, off-road vehicles and burglar alarms - contact Queensland Police on 131 444 
  • noise from premises with a liquor licence - contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation on (07) 3872 0999
  • boundary or dividing fence disputes – contact the Queensland Government Department of Justice and Attorney-General Dispute Resolution Service on 1800 017 288.

Key information