banner image
Planning & building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

Roads & Driveways

This section contains information regarding roads, road reserves, and approaches.

Driveways (vehicular crossings)

A vehicular crossing provides vehicle access between the carriageway of a road and an allotment and is more commonly referred to as a driveway in urban, rural and commercial areas.

Vehicular crossings associated with building works must be designed and constructed to ensure:

  • a safe and accessible footpath environment
  • safe and unobstructed vehicular access to the property
  • no impact on Council’s stormwater drainage system
  • no damage to vehicle or road infrastructure
  • minimal loss of on-street parking spaces
  • continued amenity of the neighbourhood

Vehicular crossings must be designed and constructed in accordance with Council’s relevant standard:

  • Rural Access with Pipe Crossing, or
  • Driveway and Verges Low Density Residential, or
  • Driveways Industrial, Commercial and Multi-Unit Residential as applicable.

Approval is required from Council ONLY for a vehicular crossing that falls within the Council road reserve. It is not required on private roads within community title developments or Department of Main Roads controlled roads (however DMR approval will be required).

A residential or commercial vehicular crossing permit is obtainable by making an application to Council on the prescribed application form, available from Council offices during normal office hours.  An application processing fee is payable.

It is the responsibility of the applicant/property owner to ensure compliance of the vehicular crossing.  Non-compliance has a maximum penalty of $7,500 for an individual or $37,500 for a corporation. Non-complying vehicular crossings will be required to be rectified at the cost of the property owner.

Further information

Refer to Vehicular Crossings located below in Related Information - Brochures & Fact Sheets

Alternatively, contact Development Compliance:

Form: Application to construct vehicular crossings

You must receive permission to construct a driveway or vehicular crossing which falls within a Council road reserve.

Refer to Vehicular Crossings located below in Related Information - Brochures & Fact Sheets

Road openings and permits

A road opening refers to the digging up of part or all of Council's road reserve. This includes the footpath, grass verge or nature strip, from the kerb and channelling to the property boundary.

An application to Council for a permit is required before work commences.

Form: Road opening application

You must receive permission prior to commencing work which may dig up any part of a Council road reserve.

relevant form/s below

Road anchors

The excavation for basements for high-rise buildings, in any soil other than solid rock, requires that consideration be given to the temporary support of the sides of the excavation, until the basement walls are constructed. Where the basement wall is close to the neighbouring property (or road reserve), it is common practice for a support wall (such as sheet piling) and tie back system to be installed in the ground, with part of the system extending under the ground into the neighbouring property, including roads.

In the case of the road reserve, it is essential that the tie back system does not damage any existing infrastructure including underground services. It is also important that all components are removed at the completion of their task, so that potential conflicts with future works in the road reserve are avoided.

There is potential for unseen damage to be caused to underground infrastructure in the process of installation, or withdrawal, of anchor bolts. In some situations the effect of the damage may not appear for several years.  To minimize the potential for complications resulting from the installation and/or removal of anchor bolts or tie-back systems, an application to Council for a permit for the installation of such items is required.

Further information

For further information on road anchors, contact Operational Works: