This image opens up in a popup window. To close this window please push the escape key on your keyboard.Click to enlarge
Alberton is a farming and residential area located on the southern bank of the Logan River and the adjoining Albert River.
The Albert River and the town reserve of Alberton were named in honour of Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria.
A town reserve was surveyed at the junction of the Albert and Logan Rivers in 1865. The Brisbane Courier in 1865 described the reserve as a fine open piece of land sheltered on the south by Mt Stapylton.
Along the river flats downstream from the reserve and on the lower slopes of the mountain, farm land was selected or purchased at country auctions.
The town reserve was consolidated by farmers into larger farming blocks. By the late 1970s, these acreage blocks were sold to a new population of settlers.
Today, the residential acreages on the former town reserve are surrounded by sugar cane and prawn farms.
Information and images provided by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Library.