Australia Day on the Gold Coast
Join us for the celebration that unites our nation at the Gold Coast Australia Day event at Broadwater Parklands, featuring the City's only spectacular fireworks display set to rival New Year’s Eve. This year's celebrations are moving to Broadwater Parklands while the new Cultural Precinct takes shape.
Pack your picnic rug, gather your friends and family and head down to Broadwater Parklands in the cool of the afternoon for an evening celebration.
Date: Thursday 26 January 2017
Time: 4pm to 8pm
Location: The Great Lawn, Broadwater Parklands, Southport
Please note: This is an alcohol free event.
There'll be plenty of ways to celebrate:
- Food truck feast – Fill hungry tummies with over 20 all-nations food trucks, grab a snag from the Long Aussie BBQ and to finish a sweet treat from Reid Street Kitchen.
- J.J. Richards Aussie Sporting Zone - The kids will love the Aussie Sporting Zone featuring activities from The Gold Coast Suns, The Gold Coast Titans and Queensland Cricket.
- Local musicians – Stroll along the pier or soak up the sounds from the main stage, our talented local line-up includes Jackson James Smith, Eleea Navarro, Dan Carroll and Juzzie Smith.
Getting there: Catch the G:link to Broadwater Parklands or make your journey active and walk, ride, scoot or skate to the event. Visit the Google Transit map or use the TransLink Journey Planner for information on public transport routes to Broadwater Parklands.
Parking: Free parking is available at Broadwater Parklands and at Carey car park.
Celebrate Australia Day like a VIP
Click "going" and post your name on the Australia Day on the Gold Coast free event page for the chance for you and three friends to win the following:
- $200 food and beverage voucher at The Fish Shak.
- Reserved parking at Broadwater Parklands.
- Reserved VIP dinner table.
- Join Mayor Tom Tate pressing the start button for the largest fireworks display ever seen in the City.
See the Australia Day VIP Facebook competition terms and conditions for more competition information.
Australia Day #ausdaygc Instagram image upload competition
Be in the running to win a $400 Coles Myer gift card. Visit the City of Gold Coast Instagram page for information on how to enter and read the Australia Day #ausdaygc Instagram image upload competition terms and conditions.
If you are not coming to Broadwater Parklands on the day, check out the public barbecue map to find locations near you.
For further information phone the City Events team on 07 5581 5286.
All nations food trucks
Jackson James Smith
Proudly supported by
Related informationJump to key information
Is the event free?
Are there free activities?
Yes! The kids will love the Aussie Sporting Zone featuring activities from The Gold Coast Suns, The Gold Coast Titans and Queensland Cricket. There will also be free photo booths, air brush tattooists and music from live local artists.
What about parking?
Free parking is available at Broadwater Parklands and Carey Car Park.
What public transport will get me there?
Catch the G:link to Broadwater Parklands or make your journey active and walk, ride, scoot or skate to the event.
Can I bring alcohol?
Can I buy alcohol there?
Why are the traditional attractions not there?
The infrastructure required for the traditional attractions cannot be accommodated at Broadwater Parklands.
Can I bring my pet?
We don’t encourage pet attendance at our events and also keep in mind that there will be fireworks at this event.
What if it rains?
If the event is cancelled due to wet weather or any other reason, we will update the event page.
What time is the event?
4pm to 8pm.
What time are the fireworks?
What food will be available?
- Barraca Portuguese Street Grill
- Bruce the Food Truck
- Canadian Cookshack
- Chubbys Diner
- Churros & Chocolate
- Dan’s Dim Sim Kitchen
- Juice Power
- Little Havana
- Little Wahaca
- Micasa Food Truck
- Morgan’s Hot Jam Donuts
- Mr America Hot Dogs & Fries
- Mr Kebabie
- Mumma and Frankie
- Pit Stop Food
- Reid Street Kitchen
- Samba Catering Co
- Sate House
- Short Black Long Black Espresso Bar
- Southport Amateur Fishing Club
- Spud the Food Truck
- Whips & Co
- Wiener Haus
- Wild Rissole
Why the changed venue this year?
This year’s Australia Day celebrations are moving to Broadwater Parklands while the new Cultural Precinct takes shape.