Cabbage Tree Point History
Cabbage Tree Point is located in the north eastern corner of the Gold Coast, on the very edge of Southern Moreton Bay. The area takes its name from the Cabbage Tree Palm (Livistona Australia) as the palms were prevalent in the area in the early days.
Captain Thomas Smales and his family selected land in the area by 1869 and he presumably named this area and the neighbouring locality of Rocky Point.
The late 19th to the mid 20th century, a large portion of the area was farmed by Herman, later Paul Hammel. The Hammel home was located on the foreshore and Paul Hammel also operated a boat hire business here. Later the property was sold and eventually passed into the ownership of Bill Wilton. The residential development of the 1960s and early 70s, was known as the Wilton Estate. In 1992,to the west of the tiny village, a lakeside development for 91 families was completed. Charlie Hammel, a descendant of Herman and Paul, continued to maintain the boat ramp and foreshore near the site of his grandparent's home and the public park was named after him.