Currumbin & Currumbin Valley & Currumbin Waters
According to the Australia Post Office History, the word Currumbin means high up or place where high trees grow.
Currumbin is derived from kurrohmin, meaning kangaroo. Steele, J.G., Aboriginal Pathways in Southeast Queensland and the Richmond River, p62
The word Currumbin is of native origin and means quicksand.
In the old days of travel along the coast there was a ford across the creek at Currumbin which could be negotiated at low tide but had to be carefully taken owing to the quicksand which was prevalent in Currumbin Creek (An historic letter written by Isobel Hannah to Mr Hartley of Geelong).
In the late 19th century, coaches took mail and passengers from Southport over the Nerang River via Meyers Ferry.
They travelled along the beach using tidal crossings at Tallebudgera and Currumbin Creeks to finally reach Coolangatta/Tweed Heads. Another coach and mail service travelled from Tallebudgera to Currumbin Valley over Tomewin to Murwillumbah in New South Wales.
The Nerang to Tweed Rail line opened in 1903 and with improved access, a number of pioneer families settled and developed farms around the estuary and in the Currumbin Valley or Currumbin Creek area as it was once known.