Free Seniors Travel Trial extended
Since 2 September 2013, eligible Gold Coast seniors have been able to travel for free on Gold Coast Surfside buses from 9am to 3.30pm, Monday to Friday (public holidays included).
In January 2014, this benefit was improved to an earlier boarding time of 8.30am in line with changes made by TransLink.
The trial was due to end on 31 March but, due to overwhelming support, we have extended the trial until 29August 2014. Registered Free Travel Seniors can simply show their go card (with the original silver sticker) to the bus driver when they board, and these cards will be honoured until the end of August.
Note: Free Seniors Travel does not apply on QR trains and will not apply on light rail services when they begin.
The Free Seniors Travel trial is part of the City's drive to encourage more Gold Coasters to use public transport, and to make better use of existing services.
How to apply
To obtain a copy of the application form
- download a copy of the form or
- pick up a copy from a City of Gold Coast Customer Contact Centre or
- phone 1300 GOLDCOAST (1300 465 326), and one will be sent to you.
To submit your application
- provide a copy of your proof of residency on the Gold Coast (e.g. rates notice, utilities bill, car registration)
- provide a copy your Seniors red go card (both sides)
- submit your application via email to email@example.com, drop it off in person at a City of Gold Coast Customer Contact Centre, or post it to: Free Seniors Travel, PO Box 5042, Gold Coast Mail Centre Qld 9726.
Once your application is approved you will receive a sticker to attach to your Seniors red go card.
Please allow five to 10 business days for processing.
The Free Seniors Travel scheme aims to help seniors to better connect with their communities. It is part of the Gold Coast City Transport Strategy 2031 and is funded by the City of Gold Coast. It will be delivered in partnership with the Queensland Government's Department of Transport and Main Roads, TransLink division and Surfside Buslines.