Free Seniors Travel Trial extended
Eligible Gold Coast seniors are able to travel for free on Gold Coast Surfside buses from 8.30am - 3.30pm, Monday to Friday (public holidays included).
The trial was due to end on 31 March 2014 but, due to overwhelming support, we have extended the trial until 28 August 2015.
Registered Free Travel Seniors can simply show their go card (with the original silver sticker) to the bus driver when they board, and these cards will be honoured until the end of August 2014. New stickers, which will replace the existing silver stickers, are being mailed to registered users prior to end August 2014 and can also be obtained from the City's customer service counters from 26 August 2014.
To be eligible for free travel passengers must:
- hold a red seniors go card
- be a Gold Coast resident
- apply for a sticker pass.
Note: Free Seniors Travel does not apply on Queensland Rail trains or on light rail services.
The Free Seniors Travel trial is part of the City of Gold Coast (City) drive to encourage more Gold Coasters to use public transport, and to make better use of existing services.
How to apply
To obtain a copy of the application form
- download a copy of the form or
- pick up a copy from a City of Gold Coast Customer Contact Centre or
- phone 1300 GOLDCOAST (1300 465 326), and one will be sent to you.
To submit your application
- provide a copy of your proof of residency on the Gold Coast (e.g. rates notice, utilities bill, car registration)
- provide a copy your Seniors red go card (both sides)
- submit your application via email to email@example.com, drop it off in person at a City of Gold Coast Customer Contact Centre, or post it to: Free Seniors Travel, PO Box 5042, Gold Coast Mail Centre Qld 9726.
Once your application is approved you will receive a sticker to attach to your Seniors red go card.
Please allow five to 10 business days for processing.
The Free Seniors Travel scheme aims to help seniors to better connect with their communities. It is part of the Gold Coast City Transport Strategy 2031 and is funded by the City. It will be delivered in partnership with the Queensland Government's Department of Transport and Main Roads, TransLink division and Surfside Buslines.