The Spit history
This image opens up in a popup window. To close this window please push the escape key on your keyboard.Click to enlarge
The origins of The Spit date back to the years 1897-1898 when a series of gales and high seas finally broke through a narrow stretch of land called Jumpinpin on Stradbroke Island.
The breakthrough created a new sea passage into Moreton Bay. Stradbroke Island was divided in two (North and South), changing the ebb and flow of tides through the southern reaches of Moreton Bay.
The impact on Southport's environment was remarkable. Southport's rocky foreshore had previously been exposed to open seas.
After the breakthrough, tidal action eroded sand from the southern tip of South Stradbroke resulting eventually in the surveyed township site of Moondarewa disappearing entirely by the 1940s.
Meanwhile, a low sand spit developed to the north of Main Beach Point. This permanent sand isthmus continued to edge across the mouth of the Nerang River until the construction of the Gold Coast Seaway in 1987.
As The Spit developed into a permanent landform, there was a demand for private leasehold title of land and applications for dredging rights for mineral sands there.
The Broadwater area, once open ocean, was now a relatively placid waterway offering a calm water harbour for vessels and boating.
By 1952, the Southport Yacht Club and John Humphrey's engineering work shop and slip way on The Spit attracted an ever increasing number of private boats to the Yacht Basin. and the eastern side of the Broadwater.
Since the 1950s and '60s, in the heyday of the local prawning industry, the Southport trawler fleet have used the The Spit for their berth.
Marineland, one of the first tourist attractions on The Spit, opened in the 1960s and foreshadowed future resort developments and theme parks which are now such a feature of the area.
Information and images supplied by the City of Gold Coast Local Studies Library.