The Gold Coast has a long established international profile that began with the growth in international tourism in the 1960s. This has since been reinforced by major local and international investment in the tourism industry as well as the steady arrival of overseas immigrants in recent years.
The Office of the Mayor is responsible for encouraging economic and cultural benefits from the City's sister city relationships and international connections.
This includes initiatives designed to:
- continue to grow the diversity, strengths and quality of the City's international connections, with a focus on real opportunities in a range of fields including trade, investment, education, health and medical, sport, film and tourism
- enhance relationships with sister cities and partner cities to encourage economic development opportunities and promote cultural understanding
- promote the Gold Coast as a destination for international businesses
- facilitate inbound delegation requests and assist with outbound trade missions
- manage sister city projects and facilitate participation by the local community
- provide protocol advice to internal and external stakeholders.