The Gold Coast's international profile began with the growth in international tourism in the 1960s. Our profile has continued to growth with major local and international investment in the tourism industry as well as steady overseas migration.
The Office of the Mayor is responsible for encouraging economic and cultural benefits from our sister city relationships and international connections.
Initiatives are designed to:
- continue to grow the diversity, strengths and quality of our international connections
- focus on opportunities in trade, investment, education, health and medical, sport, film and tourism
- promote the Gold Coast as a destination for international businesses
- help with inbound delegation requests and outbound trade missions
- manage sister city projects and facilitate participation by the local community
- provide protocol advice to internal and external stakeholders.