Urban Design Awards
The Gold Coast Urban Design Awards are presented to recognise outstanding design, liveability and sustainability within the City of Gold Coast.
The awards celebrate the best of our built environment and have become the city's most prestigious platform for recognition of design excellence, liveability and sustainability.
When places are designed well, they provide measurable social, cultural, economic and environmental benefits.
Excellent urban design offers:
- significant benefits to the community in terms of health, wellbeing, productivity, efficiency and creativity
- long-term cost savings and returns in the management of and flexibility of city-wide spaces and property
- sustainable solutions in problem solving and decision making which reduce the physical impact on our environmental resources through a reduction in pollution and waste
- encouraging innovation in design and influencing policy makers, businesses, industry and the community to make smart decisions that will support growth in the city and attract new businesses
- city-wide brand recognition that aids local and external investment confidence.
Six key design principles
- Responsive to Country, built form character, landscape, culture, climate and context to reinforce a local identity and sense of place.
- Connected and accessible places to enhance street life and link networks together for people.
- Engaged, innovative, and activated buildings contribute to a vibrant and safe public setting.
- Subtropical design and integrated landscaping, optimising our unique lifestyle with sustainable and liveable environments.
- Attractive high quality buildings and public spaces that exhibit design excellence enriching our social interactions.
- Adaptable and flexible design solutions to support changing needs of people and places.