Community Venues target of 2021-22
Published on 23 June 2021
The City’s $1.83 billion Budget will commit almost $60 million towards major sports and aquatic centres and our much-loved community centres.
“Everyone loves our community venues, libraries, pools and sporting fields – and we have ensured the 2021-22 budget meets the community’s expectations,’’ said Mayor Tom Tate.
“We have seen massive investment in major community venues in the past few years. The recently-opened Miami Aquatic Centre ($18.4 million) is incredible and the $80 million Pimpama Sports Hub continues to develop. In 2021-22, we are planning further investment for Pimpama ($5 million), Palm Beach ($6.7 million) and Coomera ($1.8 million).’’
Of the $60 million, $19.354 million will be invested in community centres.
Key projects for 2021-22 include:
• $5 million to complete Pimpama Sports Hub
• $6.7 million to finalise design and commence construction of the redeveloped Palm Beach Aquatics and Community Centre
• $7.2 million for construction of the Broadbeach Community Precinct, focusing on the expansion and refurbishment of the Albert Waterways Community Centre
• $1.8 million to advance planning and design of the Coomera Civic Hub
• $710,430 for disability, access and safety improvements including a new Changing Places facility at Paradise Point
“To better support our community, we have also completely redesigned our City website so residents can spend more time on-line, not in-line,’’ said Mayor Tate.
Key features of our new customer-friendly-tools include: improved search functionality to find information quickly; easy-to-find popular services; and a new My neighbourhood function allowing residents to discover what's happening in and around their neighbourhood - from events, local parks and projects to venues and facilities.
“I thank all councillors for working as Team Gold Coast to deliver what I term a back-to-basics budget following the enormous challenges of 2020-21,’’ he said.
“At the same time, we have ensured any rate increase has been at, or near, CPI. This year’s budget is the 10th consecutive low-rates budget.’’
Full budget details are at: cityofgoldcoast.com.au/annualplan