National Day of Mourning
Published on 20 September 2022
Australia will hold a National Day of Mourning to observe Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday 22 September 2022.
City of Gold Coast is encouraging Gold Coast residents to walk a portion of the Jubilee Walkway and will pay tribute to Her Majesty The Queen with a live orchestra performance between 5pm and 6:30pm at Queen Elizabeth Park in Coolangatta. Further information can be found at cityofgoldcoast.com.au/QueenCommemoration.
Changes to City of Gold Coast services:
1. Gold Coast Libraries are closed for the day.
2. All Customer Service Centres will be closed.
3. All Active & Healthy and NaturallyGC school holiday events scheduled for this day have been moved to a new date. The changes have been updated in their respective programs at cityofgoldcoast.com.au/activehealthy and cityofgoldcoast.com.au/NaturallyGC.
4. Aquatic centres will operate under public holiday hours:
- Gold Coast Aquatic Centre: 7am – 4pm*
- Pimpama Sports Hub: 7am – 4pm*
- Upper Coomera Aquatic Centre: 7am – 4pm*
- Miami Aquatic Centre: 5am – 8pm**
- Helensvale Aquatic Centre: 6am – 6pm**
- Nerang Aquatic Centre: 7am – 1pm**
- Mudgeeraba Aquatic Centre: 8am – 5:30pm**
*Services for learn to swim and fitness classes will not operate on this day.
**For services such as learn to swim, squads and aqua classes please check with the individual venue.
5. Waste and Recycling Centres, including Stapylton landfill, will be open. Reedy Creek landfill will be closed to the public. There are no changes to waste collection services, however please present your bin the night before as services may occur at earlier times.
6. Community Centres will remain open to provide essential social services.
7. Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre and Carrara Indoor Sports Centre will be operating under restricted public holiday hours 8am – 5pm. Runaway Bay Indoor Stadium and Coomera Indoor Sports Centre will be operating under public holiday restrictions for bookings only. Please confirm individual venue arrangements by contacting 5581 7082.