Our business ethics

City of Gold Coast officers aim to achieve the highest standards of integrity and accountability when doing business, working with the community and delivering services, consistent with the principles of the Local Government Act 2009 and the Code of Conduct for Employees. These standards include:

  1. Integrity and impartiality
  2. Promoting the public good
  3. Commitment to the system of government
  4. Accountability and transparency.

Reporting wrongdoing

If you witness any wrongdoing by, or involving, a Council employee, you are encouraged to report it. Reporting suspected wrongdoing helps Council to improve our processes and service delivery.

Members of the public can make complaints about the following categories of wrongdoing using the online form below.

Staff conduct

Council's Code of Conduct for Employees requires all employees to comply with the principles and standards of behaviour as individuals at work and outside the workplace (where the behaviour may be directly related to their employment with Council).

If you believe that an officer has failed to adhere to the requirements of the Code of Conduct for Employees, you can report your concerns to Council.

Examples of staff conduct complaints include allegations that an officer was:

  • Rude or using inappropriate language
  • Speeding or driving recklessly in a Council vehicle
  • Accepting a gift or benefit inconsistent with Council's Benefits and Gifts Policy.

Public interest disclosures

Members of the public can make public interest disclosures about:

  • substantial and specific danger to the health or safety of a person with a disability
  • substantial and specific danger to the environment
  • reprisal action for making a public interest disclosure.

For a complaint to be accepted as a public interest disclosure it must:

  • include information about serious wrongdoing or danger
  • be made with an honest and reasonable belief that the information tends to show wrongdoing or danger OR the information tends to show the wrongdoing or danger regardless of the discloser’s belief
  • made to a proper authority, such as Council or the Crime and Corruption Commission.

Fraud and corruption

Allegations of fraud or corruption should be reported to Council or the Crime and Corruption Commission.

Report wrongdoing