Our City Vision, 'Inspired by lifestyle. Driven by opportunity', informs all strategic planning for the city.
As demonstrated in the Procurement Policy & Contract Manual, a lot of work has gone into establishing social procurement as an important strategic procurement tool for the City.
The success of this commitment is evidenced by the considerable number and diversity of social procurement initiatives undertaken, and the results and outcomes we've achieved to date.
Social procurement delivers benefits including:
- developing and attracting social enterprises to the Gold Coast
- encouraging local businesses to include social or community objectives into daily business practices
- promoting employment opportunities, and inclusive and accessible work environments, for young people or older persons who are unemployed, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with disabilities
- building the skills, knowledge and ability of not-for-profit community groups to enable them to access funding and expand services.
Our approach to social procurement
We approach social procurement in two ways:
- using a portion of our annual procurement spend to engage suppliers that provide a direct benefit to the disadvantaged communities of the Gold Coast, including offering tender opportunities directly to social enterprises and social benefit suppliers
- working with social groups and suppliers to expand opportunities and identify suitable procurement spend categories for social procurement initiatives.
Portfolio of social procurement initiatives
The City has a diversified portfolio of social procurement initiatives and contracts in place, along with purchases from numerous social enterprises including:
- Endeavour Foundation for recycling services at resource recovery centres and waste transfer stations
- Endeavour Foundation for e-waste services
- Wesley Mission Queensland for youth services at Council community centres
- Volunteering Gold Coast for bus services
- Animal Welfare League of Queensland for pound management services
- Regen Australia for natural areas revegetation and restoration
- Help Enterprises for bin enclosures
- Carers Australia Queensland via the Social Enterprise Procurement Platform (office supplies).
View our Contracting Plan for social procurement opportunities:
City Contracting Plan 2023–24(PDF, 1MB)
To contact us about social procurement opportunities:
Phone: 07 5667 3925