Construction management plans

Construction is a key part of the Gold Coast’s economy and is fundamental to the planned growth of our city. Construction activity can cause disruption to local areas and result in unavoidable impacts. Some impacts may include:

  • noise
  • traffic disruptions
  • construction workers vehicle parking
  • vibration
  • fluctuation of groundwater levels from dewatering
  • dust generation.

Our development application process enables monitoring of excavation, demolition and building works. It ensures that such works are managed to appropriate conditions. This helps to:

  • minimise the impacts of the works on the community
  • ensure Council’s assets are not damaged
  • maintain the general safety of the community during periods of construction.

What is a Construction Management Plan?

A Construction Management Plan (CMP) helps to manage the disruption to the local community caused by certain construction activities. It is a document prepared by or on behalf of the applicant (builders or developers).

CMPs identify appropriate strategies and management measures that developers and builders need to put in place to control the manageable impacts of construction activities. The need for a CMP depends on the inclusion of a development condition in the City’s Decision notice for a development approval (DA). The CMP must be lodged with the City for assessment and approval before certain works begin.

It is important to note that a CMP does not eliminate the impacts of such activities. Please also note that legislation limits the City in terms of what impacts we can seek to manage.

CMPs can cover the following:

  • security and public safety, including pedestrian and cyclist safety, surrounding the construction site
  • communication strategy with surrounding residents on key matters such as changes to traffic flows, the provision of information signs and contractor contacts
  • construction traffic and parking management strategies
  • construction hours and construction staging
  • sediment and erosion control
  • refuse management
  • protection of existing infrastructure services during works.

We undertake an assessment of a proposed CMP under the:

  • Planning Act 2016
  • Local Government Act 2009 and
  • Environmental Protection Act 1994.

Approval of a CMP confirms that the developer and builder will put in place suitable actions to control the manageable impacts of construction activities as far as reasonably possible.

The City’s assessment of a CMP cannot:

  • eliminate all construction impacts, which cannot otherwise be reasonably managed
  • stop or change the construction of the development
  • regulate on potential structural impacts on surrounding buildings or development (see below for further details)
  • limit the lawful parking of construction worker vehicles on street
  • restrict hours of work beyond what is permitted under the Environmental Protection Act 1994. That is, between 6:30am and 6:30pm Monday to Saturday excluding public holidays.

Apply for a Construction Management Plan

You will need to provide supporting documentation with your application.

For more information and to apply, visit Apply for a construction management plan.

Construction site concerns

If you have a concern about construction site activities, look for the building sign with the contractor’s details at the development frontage. Communicate with the development representatives. This may resolve the issue in the quickest way possible.

Other common concerns:

  • Workplace health and safety matters – contact WorkSafe Queensland;
  • Police matters – contact the Queensland Police Service. If an incident is happening now or if serious injuries / immediate danger, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
  • Building, structural, fence, tree or boundary disputes – contact the Queensland Civil and Administration Tribunal.
  • Continued concerns about compliance with the approved CMP – lodge a complaint online by visiting Report a Problem – Development compliance. A City officer will investigate the concern.
  • After-hours noise – while the noise is occurring, please call us on 1800 637 000. We will try to investigate your complaint immediately.

Building work noise & vibration

The Environmental Protection Act 1994 (EP Act), s440R specifies the standard for building work noise. Under the EP Act a person must not carry out building work in a way that makes an audible noise:

  • on a business day or Saturday, before 6.30am or after 6.30pm, or
  • on any other day, at any time.

This includes a person carrying out building work under an owner-builder permit.

Please note: The above applies unless the builder developer holds an approved permit for building work noise outside prescribed hours. In such cases, the times stated in the approved permit apply.

Noise management plan

For large developments, the City may impose a condition on a DA requiring the developer to submit a noise management plan for approval. Activities and noise from the site must adhere to the requirements contained in the approved plan. A noise management plan is different to a CMP as it specifically deals with building and construction noise. If a resident and the developer noise cannot resolve a noise issue, the resident can lodge a complaint via the City’s Report a Problem service. A City officer will then investigate.

Vibration management plan

For developments which include a basement, the City may impose a condition in a DA requiring a developer to prepare a vibration management plan for approval. This is to ensure the appropriate management of amenity impacts caused by vibration.

The City does not assess potential structural impacts upon adjoining developments resulting from vibration from construction activities. A vibration management plan is different to a CMP as it only deals with regulating amenity impacts caused by vibration.


Developments which include a basement and/or extensive earthworks may encounter ground water. The City may require a developer to submit a dewatering management plan for approval. This is separate to the assessment of a CMP.

Assessment of a dewatering management plan considers the proposed treatment/disposal methods for the removal of groundwater from the development site. This is to minimise the potential for environmental harm to the City’s waterways and beaches. The assessment considers issues such as odour, as well as noise and vibration from equipment such as pumps and generators.

Dewatering activities resulting in the intermittent lowering of the water table can cause a temporary disruption of neighbouring properties’ access to ground water through devices such as spear pumps. The City does not regulate such impacts as they are temporary in nature.

The City does not assess potential structural impacts of dewatering activity on surrounding buildings and developments.

Erosion & sediment control

The conditions on a DA and/or the EP Act regulate the control of erosion and sediment runoff from a construction site. Developers must ensure that appropriate measures are in place to limit the extent of erosion or sediment runoff from the site. These measures include:

  • the placement of sediment fencing
  • diversion drains
  • treatment of water before discharge
  • regular inspections of devices before and after rain events.

If you have any concerns about erosion and sediment runoff from a construction site, you can lodge a complaint via Report a Problem – Development compliance. A City officer will then investigate.

Damage to adjoining properties

The City has no power to regulate structural or building damage to private properties from building work.

Damage that may occur from an activity such as vibration or dewatering from building works is a civil matter. The Queensland Civil and Administration Tribunal can investigate this type of issue.

Owners of adjoining buildings (at their own costs) can obtain a dilapidation report to document the condition of their building before building works on the neighbouring site occurs. This is useful in determining if any damage to their building is as a result of the works on the adjoining site. A body corporate may arrange this if there are many unit owners.

If you are suffering building damage, you should discuss this immediately with the developer and contractor. If unresolved, seek legal advice.

Temporary road closures

The construction of certain developments may sometimes need the temporary occupation of a road. This includes the road pavement. This may occur to accommodate activities such as:

  • the loading/unloading of materials
  • positioning or setting up of mechanical plants
  • concrete pours (for larger developments).

Separate to this, construction may need the longer occupation of the road. This can result in the temporary closure of the road and/or pedestrian footpath.

The occupation of the roadway or road reserve requires the approval of a permit for a temporary road closure.

Construction activity outside prescribed hours

The standard hours of operation are 6:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday excluding public holidays, as permitted under the EP Act. We may issue a permit to work outside of these hours under Local Law No. 8 (Public Health Safety and Amenity) 2008 if the:

  • works cannot be completed during standard work hours
  • works cause a danger to public safety during standard work hours
  • work zone affects public infrastructure, for example, light rail
  • works would cause unacceptable traffic impact if done within standard work hours
  • works occurring outside of the standard work hours results in less impact on the locality; and
  • works are associated with an approved management plan for Dewatering activities to occur outside of these hours.

Other management plans

We may condition a DA to require the approval of a range of other management plans which affect construction activities on site.

The developer prepares these plans to address specific aspects of development works. This is to ensure the appropriate management of construction impacts on the surrounding area and approved by the City. Examples of these types of management plans include:

  • Dust management plans
  • Acid sulphate soils management plans
  • Haulage access/site management plan

Access approved management plans required under a condition of a DA for a development via the City’s PD online service.