Priority development areas (PDAs) are parcels of land within Queensland identified under the State Government Economic Development Act 2012 to deliver economic development and development for community purposes. The Southport PDA Development Scheme boosts our plans to revitalise Southport as the Gold Coast's Central Business District (CBD). The PDA status removes development barriers, increases investment opportunities and helps economic development.
The Southport PDA includes the former Gold Coast hospital site, Gold Coast Aquatic Centre, Broadwater Parklands and residential areas located directly north of Railway Street and south of Queen Street, in an area of 195.7 hectares.
For a boundary map, visit Queensland Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning's Southport web page.
Guiding development in the Southport PDA
The Southport PDA Development Scheme applies to all development on land within the boundary of the PDA and replaces the Southport PDA Interim Land Use Plan.
The Streetscape Design Guidelines support the Southport PDA Scheme, providing clear direction for the development industry and other stakeholders to create a consistent, legible streetscape within the PDA.
Download and view the Southport PDA Streetscape Design Guidelines(PDF, 17MB)
The Southport PDA will:
- attract national and international investment through a streamlined and facilitated approach to development
- engage residents and visitors through high quality urban design
- connect to local and regional centres as a multi-modal public transport hub
- celebrate Southport's unique natural setting and connection to the Broadwater by continuing to provide attractive and functional public spaces
- maximise infrastructure investments including Gold Coast Chinatown, light rail and the Southport Broadwater Parklands.
Lodge a development application in the Southport PDA
City of Gold Coast is the assessment manager for the Southport PDA.
Applicants can meet with us to discuss key issues relevant to the assessment of a proposal before lodging a development application. For more information, visit the Development application pre-lodgement advice page.