Palm Beach Aquatic and Community Centre Redevelopment
- Project typeCommunity
- Project schedule2020 – end 2023
- Completion Date30 December 2023
We're transforming the Palm Beach Aquatic Centre into a contemporary recreation and community venue. This regional aquatic centre will service the community for the next 50 years.
Palm Beach Aquatic Centre was built between 1977 and 1981. It is:
- one of the City's most popular aquatic facilities
- co-located with the Palm Beach-Currumbin State High School, Beree-Badalla Reserve and Salk Oval
- currently used by more than 300,000 patrons each year
- under increasing pressure from the highly-urbanised surrounding area.
The centre has outgrown its serviceable life and no longer meets current compliance standards. The site is overdue for redevelopment to meet the changing needs of the community.
A masterplan for the site was completed in June 2020.
It guides redevelopment of the venue into a regional aquatic centre with integrated sports, fitness, community and youth facilities. This addresses current and future demand and considers population growth.
The proposed community and youth centre will include new multipurpose spaces. It will be able to deliver a diverse range of activities and services.
The centre will transform the area with contemporary recreation and community opportunities. It will service the community for another 50 years.
The first stage of the aquatic centre redevelopment was the 50-metre outdoor pool in 2010.
In 2011, a concept design incorporating youth facilities was developed for the balance of the site. A facility needs assessment informed the mix and primary components, as per the current masterplan for the Council of the City of Gold Coast endorsed stage 2 redevelopment in June 2020.
The existing 50-metre outdoor pool, built in 2010, will be retained and integrated into redesign of the site. The remaining facilities will be removed to make way for the new centre.
New facilities proposed within the masterplan include:
- heated indoor Learn to Swim pool
- warm water indoor pool with ramp
- 25-metre outdoor heated pool with ramp
- fitness centre
- water play
- community and youth spaces, including multipurpose spaces and meeting rooms
- integrated landscape with pool concourses, terraces and lawns
- basement car parking.
Timing and impacts
We estimate construction to take place from April 2022 to the end of 2023. Delivery will include major demolition and construction works. We will provide advance notice about changes to operations.
The City appreciates your patience as we deliver this vital project.
Subscribe to updates
Stay informed about the project's progress, upcoming activities and construction impacts by signing up for email updates.
View our Privacy notice
Palm Beach Aquatic Centre, Thrower Drive, Palm Beach 4221
View map and directions on Google