Water Assist

If you're experiencing financial hardship and finding it difficult to pay your water bills, please let us know.

We can help with:

To arrange a short extension on your bill's due date, please call us on 07 5667 5995 or 1300 366 659.

Plumbing Assist – free essential plumbing work

Plumbing Assist is a free service available to eligible customers in financial hardship.

Participation in the program includes, for your owner-occupied, private property:

  • a free water leak audit
  • repair or replacement of inefficient or leaking water fittings and fixtures (limited to minor repairs only).

To qualify for Plumbing Assist, you must:

  • own and occupy the home that needs the plumbing work
  • have a City of Gold Coast water supply connected to the property
  • own only one property
  • hold a concession card issued by either Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs (this does not include the Queensland Seniors Card)
  • be experiencing financial hardship
  • be assessed as eligible by our case support officer
  • need essential plumbing repairs that you cannot afford.

What's included?

Depending on the findings of the water leak audit, a licensed plumber may need to carry out some of the following work:

  • replace washers on leaking taps
  • install a WELS rated showerhead
  • repair a leaking toilet cistern
  • install flow control valves or aerators to reduce water flow
  • replace a single flush cistern with a dual flush cistern
  • provide information about meter reading and any indication of concealed leaks.

Larger works will not be carried out under the Plumbing Assist program – larger works will remain the property owner's responsibility.

If our plumber discovers larger plumbing problems, you will be advised of the findings. It is your decision as to who repairs the problem and when you choose to have the work done. The service we provide does not put you under any obligation to undertake major repairs at your expense.

Before works start, you will be asked to agree with the program's Terms and Conditions and authorise the works that will be provided.

Repairing minor water leaks can save an average household from $20 to $200 in water usage charges per year. Updating showerheads and toilet cisterns to dual flush can save even more.

Use the online form below to apply for consideration to receive Plumbing Assist services.

Apply for Plumbing Assist

Financial counselling

Sometimes it can help to talk to a financial counsellor if you're experiencing financial difficulty.

You can get help and support from the National Debt Helpline – call 1800 007 007 from 9.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. The National Debt Helpline is a free, independent and confidential advice service.

For financial counselling or assistance, contact:

Financial hardship

Finding the right support for your circumstances can be a challenge, we have partnered with Uniting to provide professional and confidential support through their CareRing program.

If you are experiencing financial hardship due to one or more of the following reasons, we may be able to help through support programs, pathways and services facilitated by CareRing.

  • Critical health issues
  • Mental health challenges
  • Long term unemployment
  • Family or domestic violence
  • Elder abuse
  • Disability

We are here to support you in your time of need and helping get your water bills back on track. Please call us on 1300 366 659 to arrange a free referral if you think this may assist you.