We regulate mobile and stationary roadside vending to ensure they operate in a safe manner for pedestrians and road users.
You will need a permit from us if you want to operate a mobile or stationary roadside vending business.
Permits cannot be transferred. If you are taking over an existing business, you will need to apply for a new permit.
Permits are valid until the 31 August each year (except for temporary licences) and are renewed annually. Fees may apply for a new permit or for permit renewal. For more information visit Permits & licensing renewals.
Mobile roadside vending
Mobile roadside vendors travel from place to place on a road and are waved down by customers. Mobile roadside vendors sell products that are either ready for sale or prepared in a short period, for example pre-packaged food and coffee.
The following conditions apply:
- Vending must be conducted on roads only. The sale of goods in parks, including parking areas within parks and on beaches is prohibited.
- The operator must be waved down in order to make a sale.
- Stopping time on the roadside is limited to the duration of the sale. Waiting for customers is not permitted.
- Operators are prohibited from selling their products or services within 250 metres of a fixed food premises that is open and provides the same, or similar, goods or services.
Stationary roadside vending
Stationary roadside vending operates in one place. The following conditions apply:
- The operation must be located outside a 5-kilometre radius of a retail shop, other commercial premises, or another stationary vending operation, that sells or provides similar products or services.
- Hours of operation must not adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood.
For more information about food licence criteria, call us on 07 5667 5987.
How to apply
Use this form to apply for a roadside vending permit to operate mobile or stationary vending activities from a road. Fees apply.
You may be eligible for nil fees if you can show that you own, rent or lease a rateable property within the City of Gold Coast, or are a registered charity, voluntary sporting, community, religious or incorporated not-for-profit organisation.