Are you looking to buy or rent a property on the Gold Coast?
Please ensure the property meets your parking needs, both now and into the future, before you sign on the line.
Who can apply?
A resident parking permit allows residents unlimited parking at no cost, in a time-limited parking area, subject to conditions.
You may be eligible for a resident parking permit if:
- You live in a time-limited parking area
- You have limited off-street parking
- The section of road that your residence is located on does not have metered (paid) parking
- You are not applying to use the permit to park a caravan, motorbike, trailer, long vehicle, heavy vehicle or golf buggy
Check & prepare to apply
Step 1 – Check if you're eligible
Complete this checklist to find out if you're eligible for a resident parking permit.
The checklist will determine if you should apply for a permit or if based on your answers, a permit would not be approved.
Check for eligibility
Step 2 – Prepare for your application
If the checklist indicates you may be eligible for a permit, you will need to provide proof of residency to support your application. See examples of supporting documentation under the 'Gather your documents' subheading in the 'How to apply' options below.
Step 3 –Submit your application
If you find from the checklist that you are eligible to apply, choose one of the options below to submit your application. No fees apply for a resident parking permit.
Step 4 – Conditions of use for successful applicants
If you are issued a permit:
- The permit must be clearly visible on the left-hand side of the front dash of the vehicle.
- The permit is not valid for a caravan, motorbike, trailer, long vehicle, heavy vehicle or golf buggy.
- The permit is not valid for use in a metered space or where parking is prohibited.
- The permit must not be copied or reproduced.
How many permits can you have?
The number of resident parking permits you can have depends on the type of premises and your available off-street parking. The table below shows how many permits you can apply for.
|Type of residence
||Number of off-street parking spaces (e.g. carport/garage)
||Maximum number of permits per premises
|House or duplex
|3 or more
||0 (not eligible)
|Unit or townhouse (see note below*)
||0 (not eligible)
|Note: Permits are not available for a residence within a multi-residential premises or property on community title scheme land, if:
- the building has more than 30 residences and is located in the Central or Southport Traffic Areas; or
- the building has more than 20 residences and is located in any other Traffic Area.
- plumbing connection after 30 Oct 2018
- multi-residential premises are used, or intended to be used, as a home-based business
- in a multi-level building and directly or indirectly above premises within the multi-level building which are used otherwise than as a residence.
Renew, replace, update or cancel a permit
Resident parking permits may be renewed annually. They are valid for one calendar year from 1 January to 31 December.