Bulky waste kerbside collection
City of Gold Coast has changed the way we manage bulky waste kerbside collections. We have partnered with the Handel Group to provide our on-demand FLEXiSKiP kerbside collection service.
One free FLEXiSKiP can be ordered per eligible household each year.
How it works
FLEXiSKiP is a heavy-duty, 3-cubic-metre skip bag with a one-tonne capacity. It is big enough to fit couches, mattresses and other large bulky items. You can set up the FLEXiSKiP within 4 metres of the street kerb or driveway, fill it up and then arrange collection.
To get started and:
- set up an online account
- book a delivery or collection
- find more information on setting up and using your FLEXiSKiP
- find more information on accepted and non-accepted waste
simply go to FLEXiSKiP or phone 07 5619 5221, Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm.
Who is eligible
This service is free for all eligible Gold Coast residents. Most residents who have a wheelie bin collection service are eligible. You are not eligible if you live in:
- high-rise or unit complexes with a current bulk bin service
- any complex with 10 or more units
- rural areas that do not have a City waste collection service
- Hope Island and Sanctuary Cove resort complexes that are serviced by a private waste services contractor.
To check your eligibility, go to the FLEXiSKiP website.
What waste can be put in a FLEXiSKiP
- Soft flooring and mattresses
- electronic items (cords, computers)
- household appliances including fridges, freezers, washers, dryers and stoves
- soft furnishings and large furniture
- carpets and rugs
- bath and laundry tubs
- timber, tiles and bricks
- bikes and sporting equipment
- wood products
- garden organics (lawn clippings, palm fronds, pruning)
- all glass items including glass bottles.
- Construction and demolition material
- general household waste and recycling (including food scraps)
- batteries or mobile phones
- car parts including tyres
- hazardous waste (such as gas bottles, asbestos, chemicals and fibro sheets)
- liquids, oils, solvents and paints
- commercial builders and business waste.
Disposing non-acceptable waste
Visit our Waste & recycling centres and Disposing of hazardous materials pages for information on the disposal of items not accepted for kerbside collection.
Where to set up your FLEXiSKiP
Your FLEXiSKiP must be placed:
- within 4 metres of the street kerb
- must not block a public footpath or the roadway
- have no obstructions like power lines, trees or cars that may prevent collection.
To keep our streets beautiful and to prevent any unwanted use of your personal FLEXiSKiP, we recommend only placing your FLEXiSKiP on the kerb when you are ready to fill it.
Ideally, your FLEXiSKiP should only be placed on the kerbside for a period of no longer than 2 weeks (including 3 days for collection to occur). Non-compliance with these recommendations may be referred and investigated under applicable local laws.
Only one free FLEXiSKiP can be ordered per eligible household each year. There are no upfront fees for this service.
Credit/debit card details are required as part of the application process.
Charges will only be administered in the event of a breach of the terms and conditions of use(PDF, 386KB)
The following charges may apply if you are non-compliant with these:
|Collection not booked within 30 days of the FLEXiSKiP being delivered.
Your booked collection can't occur – this can be due to a range of issues including:
- the skip's location is unsuitable for collection; for example, not on kerbside or too close to cars, trees and powerlines
- the skip is overweight or oversized
- the skip contains non-accepted waste.
|$49.50 for every failed collection attempt
|Contaminated waste and non-accepted items is discovered in the skip after collection.
||Calculated based on type and amount of waste
Other important information:
- If you wish to cancel your order you will need to do so within 48 hours of receiving the confirmation email. Email email@example.com or phone 07 5619 5221.
- You cannot give your FLEXiSKiP to another household once it has been delivered. FLEXiSKiP uses GPS registration and the QR code on the bag will not activate a skip collection at any property other than the one it was initially delivered to. You may incur a fee if the FLEXiSKiP is moved to an alternate property.
- You do not need to be home to receive your FLEXiSKiP parcel – they are dispatched with an ‘authority to leave’ approval.
- We understand that some eligible residents may have difficulty moving heavy items and filling their FLEXiSKiP. We recommend in the first instance that residents get assistance with these tasks from an able-bodied neighbour, family member or friend.
- Each eligible resident may only book the service once for their property during the year:
- properties (in divisions 8–14) that have already redeemed their Council-funded FLEXiSKiP in 2020 will be eligible for a FLEXiSKiP in 2021.
- residents with an uncollected FLEXiSKiP from the 2020 trial are not eligible to receive a new FLEXiSKiP until the collection of the 2020 product has been completed.
To dispute charges, please email the City at firstname.lastname@example.org. The City will investigate any dispute on a case-by-case basis and make a decision based on the evidence.