Every residential home where the kerbside collection service is available should have a recycling bin with a yellow lid.
This bin is collected once a fortnight, on the same day as your general waste bin.
Find out what can be recycled and what you can't put in your recycling bin.
To find out what day your bin is collected, use the Bin day finder.
Missed bin collection
If your bin collection was missed, please follow these steps:
- Please call us on 07 5667 5976 between 8am and 5pm to have the problem investigated. We will ask you to provide your contact details, address, bin type and any possible reason the bin may not have been emptied.
- Leave your bin on the kerbside and our contractors will return as soon as possible.
There are several reasons why your bin might not be emptied, including:
- the bin was not put out in time (bins should be out for collection by 6am)
- the truck could not reach the bin (cars parked in front or other obstructions)
- the bin was overfull or contained materials that are not allowed
- the driver made a mistake.
Damaged or stolen bins
If your bin has been damaged or stolen, let us know by going to our Report a problem page.
Upsize your recycling bin
If you'd like to find out how to upsize to a larger, 360-litre recycling bin visit Change your bin size.
Materials placed in the recycling bins go to the Materials Recovery Facility at Carrara to be sorted by machine and by hand. They are then compacted, baled and sent away to be remade into other products.
Items that can be put in the yellow-lidded recycling bins are:
- all plastic bottles and containers
- aluminium and steel cans, including empty aerosol cans
- bottles and jars made only of glass
- clean cardboard, newspaper, loose paper, junk mail, magazines and cartons.
For further information see our What can I recycle fact sheet(PDF, 190KB)
We prefer your recyclables are empty and clean to reduce odour and have a safe working environment for our staff, but it is not necessary to remove all residues for them to be acceptable.
Don't bag your recyclables. Plastic bags should never be used or placed in recycling bins. Always place your recyclables loose in the recycling bin. Bagged recyclables are removed from the conveyor line and disposed of at the Materials Recovery Facility as bags get tangled in the machinery and prevent the recyclables from being sorted automatically.
Items that cannot go in your yellow-lidded recycling bin are:
- plastic bags (always place your recyclables loosely in the bin)
- thin plastic films like glad wrap, bubble wrap or black plastic
- disposable nappies
- food scraps, green organics (including wood) or dead animals
- clothing, shoes or accessories
- pyrex or heat-resistant glass
- crockery, china or ceramics
- polystyrene or Styrofoam
- light bulbs or fluorescent tubes
- tiles, bricks, stones or soil
- single-use face masks and gloves.
For information about what to do with some of these materials go to: