Boowaggan Road, Merrimac
Merrimac Waste and Recycling Centre is open every day, Monday to Sunday, between 7am and 4.50pm, except for the dates below.
Dates closed: Good Friday and Christmas Day
Phone: 07 5667 5976 from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
Changes to accepted items at our waste and recycling centres
We're introducing changes to building material disposal at our waste and recycling centres. From 1 December 2022, Molendinar, Reedy Creek and Stapylton will accept these materials for recycling:
For us to recycle your construction and demolition materials, you will need to:
separate and sort your loads before you enter
make sure your load is not contaminated by risky materials or asbestos.
If you think your load may contain materials containing asbestos, strict disposal rules apply. Reedy Creek and Stapylton landfills will accept these materials for disposal.
We ask that you read Disposal of asbestos for more information on the Asbestos Risk List. It also explains how to safely dispose of asbestos containing material.
Plan ahead & save time
Before you head to this waste and recycling centre:
- Check the list of items accepted by this centre in the section below. Note that our Merrimac centre does not accept commercial or work waste. Commercial waste is accepted at the waste and recycling centres at Stapylton (all), Reedy Creek (all) and Molendinar (commercial green organics only).
- Take the time to sort your load. Sorting your load into recyclables and general waste will make your visit to the centre's Recycle Street a breeze.
- Our waste management facilities experience peak demand between 10am and 2pm. Avoid delays by timing your visit outside these times.
The Merrimac Waste and Recycling Centre accepts general waste and recycles the following items:
- car batteries (lead acid)
- charity donation bins
- comingled recyclables (yellow top bins) – aluminium cans, paper, plastic and glass bottles
- cooking oil (up to 20 litres)
- domestic green organics
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- gas bottles – empty (up to 9 kilograms)
- motor oil
- paint through PaintBack, maximum 20 litres
- scrap metal
- whitegoods (degassing available).
The Centre does not accept commercial or work waste. Commercial waste is accepted at the waste and recycling centres at Stapylton (all), Reedy Creek (all) and Molendinar (commercial green organics only).
Waste disposal fees
Residents can use City waste and recycling centres to dispose of certain items fee-free, within certain limits.
Visit How to use our waste & recycling centres to find out:
- how much waste you can take to a centre before a fee is charged
- the rules around what we accept, and
- domestic regulated waste items that do incur a fee.
It is also a fee-free condition that recyclable materials be separated and placed in the supplied recycling areas.