banner image
Protecting and managing our native wildlife

As one of the most biologically diverse cities in Australia, with a wide range of animal species, we work with the community to manage and protect our native wildlife.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services


The Gold Coast is home to a wide range of plant and animal species. We work with the community to protect our native wildlife and manage invasive animals and birds.

Nuisance native animals

Our backyard lawns, parks, school grounds and paddocks may have been designed for people, but they have also created a unique habitat for native animals that like to live in grassy, lightly treed areas. Some native animals can have nuisance behaviours, such as swooping magpies and noisy crows, however, the benefits of living with wildlife outweigh the negative impacts.


Flying-foxes (and other native wildlife) are protected under the Queensland Nature Conservation Act 1992. Unlawfully disturbing flying-foxes can result in considerable fines.

For more information on flying-foxes please refer to our Flying-foxes page.

Magpies and butcher birds

Whilst the City does not offer a removal program for aggressive and swooping birds, we understand the concern for public risk and safety and strongly recommend visiting the Department of Environment and Science website, which offers an abundance of information on how to stay safe and avoid potential attacks.

Alternatively, you can obtain the details of your nearest licensed magpie re-locator from the Yellow Pages. This is a commercial service and a fee is usually charged, typically paid by the complainant or landowner.

If the bird is nesting in, or attacking from, a tree located within private property, City officers are unable to enter the private property. As magpies and butcher birds are a protected species, a qualified assessor from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service will need to assess the bird. Contact the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service on 1300 130 372 to discuss the situation.

Wild pigeons

City of Gold Coast does not offer any services to remove or trap wild pigeons. Residents who experience problems with wild pigeons should contact a private pest contractor.


The City does not offer any services to remove or trap possums. Residents who experience problems with possums should contact a private pest contractor.


Snakes are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 and it is an offence to kill, injure or take snakes from the wild.

Snakes usually prefer to retreat when encountered but, if they feel threatened, they can become defensive. Most snake bites are received by people who try to capture or kill a snake. If you encounter a snake, don't panic. Back away to a safe distance and allow the snake to move away. Snakes often want to escape when disturbed.

If you witness a snake on City land that you believe may pose a risk to the public, please contact us on 1300 GOLD COAST (1300 465 326) or 07 5582 8211 to arrange an inspection.

If the snake is located on private property, you should contact a snake catcher via yellow pages.

Injured wildlife

It's an unfortunate fact of life that our native fauna are constantly in danger, whether it be from land clearing, road accidents or natural disasters.

If you find an orphaned, sick or injured animal:

  • Keep calm and assess the situation.
  • Do not handle flying-foxes or bats. If you find a sick, injured or orphaned flying-fox or bat please contact Bats QLD (0447 222 889), Wildcare Australia (07 5527 2444) or the RSPCA on 1300ANIMAL (1300 264 625).
  • If it is an orphaned bird, check to see if its parents are around. The bird will be much happier if it is reunited with its natural parents.
  • If it is a small, easily handled animal, place it in a box and put it somewhere dark and quiet and out of reach of children, pets and other disturbances.
  • If it is a large animal, place a box or washing basket over the top of it to calm the animal down.
  • Call for help. Call 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625) to report sick, injured or orphaned animals to the RSPCA - anything from marine strandings through to roadside injuries. The RSPCA call centre manages these calls and will either attend or refer you to local wildlife or domestic organisations, animal carers or wildlife rehabilitators.
  • You can also take the animal in to any RSPCA Animal Care Centre if you have access to transport and are happy to handle the animal.

Note: if the animal is deceased, please call us on 07 5667 5976*
*After business hours, this number will offer an option to enter '1' to be diverted to our After Hours Emergency Service number.

Recreational wildlife licence

Queensland's native wildlife is protected by State Government nature conservation legislation.

A Recreational Wildlife Licence is required for the keeping of certain protected birds, reptiles or amphibians at a residential property.

For more information visit the Queensland Government Recreational wildlife licence page or phone 13 QGOV
(13 74 68).

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page