banner image
Use our online services

Request a service, make a payment, manage your Council accounts, apply for a licence and more.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services


If you have a problem, issue or concern about the services, decisions or actions of City of Gold Coast, we would like to hear about it. Your comments provide us with valuable feedback to allow for continuous customer service improvement.

Our Complaints (Administrative Actions) Policy has been developed to ensure all complaints are dealt with efficiently, objectively and fairly.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction by a person who is directly affected by an administrative action of the City of Gold Coast or a City employee.

A complaint is not the same as a request for service, a request for information or an enquiry seeking clarification of an issue. Examples of matters that are not classified as complaints include:

  • an enquiry to seek clarification or further information about the amount of a rates bill
  • a request to the City to take action on a barking dog, a noisy pool filter, a leaking water pipe or any other services
  • an inquiry made to the City on a particular development or compliance matter that is processed in accordance with statutory or administrative timeframe established by the City.

However, if:

  • no action or inadequate action has been taken on a request for service or information that personally affects you, and you want to lodge a complaint about the way the request has been handled, or
  • you are requesting a review of a decision or action made by the City that personally affects you

this contact would be classified as a complaint and handled under our Complaints (Administrative Action) Policy.

Complaints from suppliers to City of Gold Coast

All supplier complaints regarding a procurement process or outcome must be forwarded via email to and addressed directly to the Chief Procurement Officer as the first point of contact, to provide the opportunity for the procurement branch to deal with and resolve the complaint.

What matters are not covered by our complaints management policy?

The following types of complaints will be dealt with under different City processes:

If your complaint is to do with one of these matters, please contact us.

  • complaints not about an administrative action of the City or when the person making the complaint is not personally affected
  • request a waiver or review of a penalty infringement notice
  • complaints about Councillors, including the Mayor
  • a complaint about official misconduct or a criminal matter
  • disputes about legal liability
  • comments made via social media channels such as Facebook or the website survey.

City vehicles

To make a complaint about a City vehicle or a vehicle used to conduct a City service, such as rubbish collection, please forward the information below to

  • your name and contact details
  • registration number of the vehicle
  • a description of the vehicle
  • date, time and location of the incident
  • a brief description about what happened
  • any other information pertinent to the incident.

Accidental damage to property

Unforeseen accidents, for example where a stone or hard object is thrown up from a mower or a whipper-snipper, can happen unexpectedly.

If your property has been accidentally damaged by City maintenance works, please submit your complaint:

How do I report a problem, make a maintenance request or other request for service?

A request for service is where you want the City to take action. Examples include:

  • a barking dog
  • an overflowing waste bin
  • a pot hole
  • or another issue requiring service from the City.

If you would like to submit a request for service, visit our Report a problem web page where you can find out more about your problem and, if you cannot resolve the issue yourself, complete our online request form to have your issue investigated.

You may also wish to download our mobile app and use it to report an issue in the city.

How do I make a complaint?

You are strongly encouraged to put your complaint in writing to ensure that it is clearly understood by the officer investigating it. You can make a formal complaint using our online form.

Lodge a complaint online

Alternatively find the downloadable Complaint Lodgement Form below.

Note: If you wish to lodge a complaint anonymously, please use the printable form below and omit your personal details.

You can also submit your complaint by letter, email or facsimile:
Facsimile: 07 5596 3653

I need help to make a complaint

If our information is not in your language, please call the National Translating and Interpreting Service (NTIS) on 131 450. Advise the NTIS of your preferred language and ask to speak with City of Gold Coast Customer Service on 1300 GOLDCOAST (1300 465 326).

Alternatively, we have provided information on how to make a complaint in a range of other languages. Find links to our information in other languages below.

If you need assistance because of a hearing or speech impairment, please contact the National Relay Service on
133 677. If you can speak and hear but sometimes people have trouble understanding you, the number to call at the Relay Service is 1300 555 727.

I have been asked to lodge a complaint on behalf of someone else

If the person who wishes to complain is unable to do so due to poor health, distance, language, legal or other reasons, the complaint may be lodged by another person on their behalf.

What can I expect when my complaint is lodged?

We take complaints seriously. The officer investigating your complaint will contact you within 10 working days of receiving the complaint to let you know how they will deal with it. After 10 working days, if you have not received a response, please phone 1300 GOLDCOAST (1300 465 326).

Complaints process

It is important that our approach to dealing with complaints allows for fair and detailed consideration.

We aim to resolve complaints at the first point of contact. If that is not possible, your complaint will be referred for a review (‘Preliminary Review’) by an officer in the area where the original City decision was made.

When a complaint is received, an impartial City officer will review the case. Once investigated, the City officer will provide a written report of the investigation to the area manager and to the person who initiated the complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the preliminary review, you may request a second review (‘Final Review’) by an authorised complaints officer.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the final review, you can lodge your complaint with the Queensland Ombudsman, the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (EWOQ) for water complaints, or use any other external complaints review process, such as judicial review (through the courts).

You can also lodge your complaint, at any time, directly with the Queensland Ombudsman (or EWOQ). The Ombudsman investigates complaints to make sure that public agencies such as local councils act fairly and make the right decisions for residents/customers.

How long will it take for my complaint to be dealt with?

The timeline for handling complaints depends on how complex the matter is. The officer investigating the complaint will keep you informed of the progress of the investigation.

Will my identity remain confidential?

Yes, the City must comply with the Information Privacy Act. Under this Act, personal information, including personal names and addresses, cannot be disclosed without a person’s consent to anyone outside City of Gold Coast.

If I make a complaint, can the City refuse to investigate it?

We may refuse to investigate a complaint if:

  • it is considered trivial or vexatious
  • it is made using rude or abusive language, or where the complainant is physically harassing or stalking a City officer
  • it is made 12 months or more after the event that gave rise to the complaint
  • it is made anonymously and there is insufficient information to investigate the complaint
  • the matter is complex and the complainant refuses to put it in writing
  • it is being considered through another review process
  • the complainant in some way obstructs the investigation.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page