National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

City maintenance services

City of Gold Coast provides a vast array of community services and facilities, including the maintenance of beaches, roads and walkways, sporting grounds, parks and gardens, community centres, libraries, the protection of threatened plants and animals, the collection and disposal of waste and recyclables and numerous other community projects.

For useful information on how we can help you, please visit our City of Gold Coast services page.

The following subheadings provide an illustration of the scope of our maintenance services.

City cleaning

Our City Cleaning team works 24x7 to keep the Gold Coast looking pristine and provides a range of cleaning services to maintain facilities and locations.

Visit our City cleaning page to find out about the team - what they do and how you can help them by reporting facilities that need cleaning.

Building maintenance

Over 30,000 repairs and maintenance, graffiti removal and construction jobs are undertaken by the City's Building Maintenance team annually. Trades and services required include electrical, plumbing, carpentry, concreting, tiling, painting, lifts, auto doors, heating ventilation and air conditioning.

The team is responsible for auditing the condition and the repairs/maintenance of all City-built assets and structures. This includes major facilities such as:

The team is also responsible for repairs and maintenance of certain public facilities within parks, beaches or roads, including:

  • barbecues
  • beach showers
  • lifeguard towers
  • irrigation systems to City sporting fields and parks
  • public toilet blocks
  • park shelters and shade structures
  • street and park furniture, including playgrounds
  • monuments
  • lighting
  • timber decks and boardwalks.

We attend to 9000 requests to remove graffiti throughout the Gold Coast area annually, including from Energex assets and private property, and maintain over 6000 assets on planned maintenance programs.

Report assets needing maintenance or graffiti removal

Visit Report a problem - City parks and beaches to report City assets that need maintenance or repair online.

You can also report graffiti online. Visit Report a problem - Graffiti, rubbish and illegal dumping for more information.

Construction projects

Over 250 minor construction projects are undertaken each year, including:

  • building alterations and refurbishments
  • construction of park shelters and shade structures
  • office alterations
  • demolitions
  • park barbecue installations
  • street and park light installations
  • heating, ventilation and air conditioning installations.

Parks and landscape maintenance

Our Parks and Landscape Maintenance team receives over 30,000 requests each year from Councillors and customers.

Our team conducts proactive and reactive maintenance on streetscapes, parklands, sporting fields, natural areas, dunal vegetation and roadsides. We look after:

  • over 2000 parks, covering more than 15,000 hectares
  • over 200 ectares of managed vegetated beach dune area
  • Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens
  • over 250 sports fields
  • more than 500 playgrounds across the city
  • over 800 hectares of utility reserves
  • community facility land
  • over 12,500 hectares of Conservation Estate (excluding National Parks and Conservation Parks managed by others)
  • 9000 free trees to the community each year
  • 950 trees planted annually by the City
  • over 3000 rubbish bins (in precincts, parks, road reserves areas) - services from twice a day to once a week
  • skateboard and BMX tracks
  • landscape areas of eight aquatic centres.

Report park assets needing maintenance

You can let our team know about parks that require maintenance online. Visit Report a problem - City parks and beaches for more information.

Find some frequently asked questions about park and landscape maintenance below.

Roads, drainage and foreshore maintenance

Our Roads, Drainage and Foreshore Maintenance team are responsible for:

  • beaches, foreshores and waterways maintenance and minor construction
  • concrete and timber vehicular and pedestrian bridge maintenance
  • roads, car park and footpath/bikeway maintenance and minor construction
  • storm water drainage maintenance and minor construction.

Report issues with City roads and stormwater drainage

You can report maintenance issues such as potholes and stormwater drains needing clearing online. Visit Report a problem - roads and footpaths for more information.

Related information

Jump to key information
  • I am worried about a tree on City controlled property, what can I do about it?

    Please contact us and we will arrange for an officer to inspect the tree and surrounding area. Don’t attempt to do any work on the tree yourself. 

    If the tree you are concerned about is on City-controlled, public property please call 07 5667 5974. If you require a tree on City land removed, a tree removal form must be completed. The form is available for download on our Tree removal - public land page, or you can contact 07 5667 5974 for a form to be mailed to you.

    If you are concerned about a tree on private property, you can contact 07 5582 8688.

  • If a park, sports field or garden bed looks untidy, who do I contact?

    Gold Coast parks are maintained by the City on a regular basis. However, if a park needs attention, please call 07 5667 5974. Alternatively, you can fill out an online form.

  • Will the City mow my nature strip?

    Nature strip maintenance is the responsibility of the resident, however, written requests are considered to assist residents who can demonstrate financial or medical hardship.

    All nature strip mowing applications are to be submitted in writing to Gold Coast Parks, PO Box 5042, GCMC, QLD 9726 and should include the following:

    • name, address and phone number, and
    • a medical certificate from a registered physician which states you are unable to mow your nature strip area due to medical reasons. Other documentation demonstrating your physical incapacity such as a disability card or participation in programs such as Home Care or Blue Nursing will suffice, and
    • a Statutory Declaration stating that you do not have the financial capacity to employ a contractor to perform the service (documentary support of you pensioner status will suffice), or
    • advice that the topographical nature of your footpath prevents you from mowing.

    In accordance with our Nature Strip Footpath/Road Verge Mowing Policy, this service will be reviewed annually to ensure residents remain eligible and to maintain the accuracy of the City's mowing service records. We require applications including the above information to be updated and resubmitted on an annual basis. The Medical Certificate is not required if the original confirmed a permanent disability. Applicants will be allowed a two-month period to resubmit applications before any termination of services.

  • If play equipment or shade sails need to be repaired, who do I call?

    You can report the problem via our online form or call Parks Maintenance Services on 07 5667 5974.

  • Who do I contact for other park maintenance enquiries?

    You can fill out our online report a problem form or contact City Maintenance on 07 5667 5974 for the following:

    • barbecue hot water not working
    • lights in parks not working
    • leaking taps/showers in parks or beach
    • damaged picnic facilities
    • damaged irrigation
    • graffiti on City property.