banner image
My water. My bill. My way.

We have changed the way we bill your water and sewerage account.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

My water bill

My water dates

Find my water dates

Use My Water Dates to see when your water meter is being read and when your next bill will be sent.

All charges on your bill are now for the same period of time

We’ve made things easier to understand – you now receive your quarterly bill shortly after the meter is read, with all charges billed in arrears for the same period of time.

You have 30 days from the date of your notice to pay your water account or enter into a payment arrangement where you can pay by making regular instalments.

Know how much water you’re using and identify high water usage

With less delay between your meter read and bill, you will know how much water you’re using which may also alert you to a potential water leak.

Often the first time you know you’ve been using more water than usual is when you receive your bill. Sometimes high water use can be an indication of a hidden water leak or that you’ve been filling the pool or watering the lawn more than usual. As your bill will be sent shortly after your water meter is read you’ll see high usage sooner and can check out why it might be more than usual.

For further details and a breakdown of the pricing, refer to the Water and sewerage pricing fact sheet.

Register for My Account to view copies of your water bills issued from July 2018. Copies of both rates and water notices issued from July 2018 are available in the 'Rates and water accounts' section of My Account* - click on the 'Rate notice number', then the 'Rates/Water notices' button on the following screen.
*You must be registered for and signed in to My Account to view copies of notices, etc.

Find answers to frequently asked questions about your water bill below.

For more information on your water usage charges or how your water bill is calculated, please contact us on
07 5667 5995 or 1300 000 928.

Your water bill and charges explained

City of Gold Coast is responsible for delivering water and sewerage services on the Gold Coast.

Interactive water notice thumb

Download our brochure on how to read your water bill.

Although the City is the water service provider, Seqwater owns the bulk water supply, including Hinze Dam and the desalination plant. The City buys the water that you use through your meter from Seqwater and the price paid is reflected in your water bill together with the price set by Council to have the water delivered to your property.

Your City of Gold Coast water notice is issued quarterly. Quarterly notices will help you to monitor your water usage and assist with earlier detection of abnormal usage caused by a concealed leak.

If you're a residential customer, the charges that will appear on your water notice include:

Water access charge

This is a fixed amount, payable for your property having access to the City’s water distribution system, regardless of whether or not water is being used at the property. This charge represents a contribution to the ongoing maintenance of water supply infrastructure, i.e. water mains, reservoirs, pump stations, etc.

This fixed annual amount is set by Council in its annual budget, however the amount per period may vary as it is the calculation of the daily rate multiplied by the number of days between water meter readings.

Water usage charge

This is a variable amount, dependent upon how much water you use, as measured by your water meter.

The prices that you pay for water and sewerage are made up of two major components:

  • distribution, retail water and sewerage charges - set by local council water businesses and
  • bulk water charges - the wholesale price that Seqwater charges local council water businesses, which is then passed directly through to customers. This is referred to as the State Bulk Water charge.

The charge is split into two parts to show the break-up between the actual cost of the water used (i.e. Seqwater’s Bulk Water price) and the cost to deliver the water used (i.e. the Local Government Distribution and Retail price).

Note: The City reads your water meter every three months. If access to read your meter was restricted at the time, your water use will be estimated and this will be stated in your water notice.

Sewerage access charge

This is a fixed amount, payable for your property having access to the City’s sewerage transportation and treatment system, regardless of whether or not sewage is being discharged from your property. This charge represents a contribution to the ongoing maintenance of sewerage supply infrastructure, i.e. sewerage mains, treatment plants, pump stations, etc.

This fixed annual amount is set by Council in its annual budget however the amount per period may vary as it is the calculation of the daily rate multiplied by the number of days between water meter readings.

Note: A separate sewerage usage charge does not apply.

Non-drinking water usage charge

This is a charge applicable to some Pimpama-Coomera customers only for recycled water usage as measured by your purple recycled water meter. It is charged per kilolitre (1000 litres).

If access to your water meter is not available when your water meter is due to be read, water usage may be estimated for this charge, based on previous use. This will be indicated on your bill.

Tenants in rental properties

Tenants are billed through the managing agent or landlord for the water and sewerage account. If you move from your rental property you do not need to advise the City. The bill will be directed to the residential customer by the managing agent.

Tenants living on the Gold Coast will no longer receive usage information in the form of a Water Advice to Tenant. The bill for the property's water use will be sent to the property owner.

If you have your own water meter, a property owner can ask you as a tenant to pay for water usage. Visit the Residential Tenancies Authority website for more information.

Related information

Jump to key information
  • Will the length of my billing period change?

    No, not after the initial transition period (detailed above). Individual water meters will continue to be read and bills issued to individual customers on a quarterly basis, although the timing of when bills are sent will change according to the location of your property and where it falls in our meter reading cycle. For example, customers who live in the northern half of the city will receive their water bills earlier in the quarter than those customers who live in the southern half of the city.

  • Will my bills tell me when my next meter read or bill issue date is expected to be?

    While the exact date of your next meter read will not be shown on your bill, meters will continue to be read on a quarterly basis, and the new timing will depend on the location of your property.

  • Are there any changes to what I will be billed for?

    No. You will still be billed quarterly for the same charges as before. Only the timing of when you will receive your bill will change.

  • Will I still be able to see what the daily average usage is for the City?

    Yes. Your water bills will still provide an overview of the City’s daily average residential water usage.

  • Will there be any changes to the cost of my water usage?

    The City’s current prices for water and sewerage services, including usage, have not changed since 2014.

  • I own multiple properties. Will I be billed at different times?

    Customers will receive bills shortly after the meter is read, the timing of which may be different based on where each property is located.

  • Will I still receive four water bills in the 2019-20 financial year?

    No, we will be sending five bills in the 2019-20 financial year, but your July bill applies to the 2018-19 financial year. After you receive your July bill you will receive four quarterly bills over the course of the 2019-20 financial year. This does not mean we are charging you more, it is simply a timing change depending on when we will issue your bills.

  • Is there a payment arrangement available if I am having difficulty paying my water and sewerage account?

    If you are unable to pay your account in full and on time, you may be eligible to pay it off through weekly or fortnightly instalments. Submit your request using our online enquiry form.

  • I bought this property but did not own it for the entire rating and/or water consumption period. Why do I have to pay?

    Please check your settlement statement to confirm whether a rate and/or water adjustment was done or contact your solicitor and/or agent for confirmation.

  • How do I notify the City of my authorisation for another party to act on my behalf with regards to my rates and water bills?

    Note: Notifications will only be accepted from the registered owner of the property or in the case of a trust or a company, the Director of the trust or company.

    Property(s) held in the name of individual person(s): By completing the Nominate Authorised Representative form.

    Alternatively, you can call us on 1300 366 659 or +61 7 5667 5995. Please quote the rates or water and sewerage notice reference number, property address and current postal address.

    Property(s) held in the name of a trust or in a company name: By the Director completing the Nominate Authorised Representative form.

  • What do I need to do to apply for pension concessions?

    To enquire about your eligibility for pensioner rate concessions, please call us on 07 5667 5995 or 1300 366 659 as you may be able to apply over the phone.

    Alternatively, you can complete an application form at your nearest City of Gold Coast customer service centre. Please bring your current Queensland Pensioner Concession card or Queensland Veterans' Affairs card.

    If you have recently moved to a new address within the City, you will also need to re-apply for pensioner rate concessions on your new property.

  • I have a water leak. How do I apply for a rebate with City of Gold Coast?

    City of Gold Coast requires customers to complete and submit a Water and Sewerage Leakage Relief Application form with the required, supporting documentation. Visit our Water leaks page for information on eligibility.

  • I've received my water bill, but my meter doesn't appear to have been read. Has my usage been estimated?

    Our meter readers are required to leave the meter box how it was found. Most likely the meter reader returned the soil on top of the meter so it doesn't become a hazard.

    Your water bill will indicate if your usage has been estimated. Please keep in mind that it is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure the water meter is accessible for reading.


Top of page Top of page