banner image
Gold Coast natural environment

We have one of Australia's most biodiverse cities. Let's explore, celebrate and work together to protect it for the future.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Stormwater drainage

Stormwater runoff from any subdivision and/or individual site must be directed to a legal point of discharge. For any stormwater discharge associated with subdivision and/or individual site work, please refer to the Land Development Guidelines and Queensland Urban Drainage Manual (QUDM).

Stormwater runoff from any site must ensure no net increase in peak flows for all events from Q2 to Q100 storm and shall result in no adverse impact external to the subject site either from redirection, concentration and/or increase in flood levels.

Building site

Stormwater runoff from building sites must be collected and directed to a lawful point of discharge. For stormwater associated with building work, please refer to the Building Code of Australia, which can be viewed at libraries. For stormwater associated with City of Gold Coast services, please refer to our Land Development Guidelines.

Stormwater drainage associated with building works that connect to the City's system requires an Operational Works (OPW) application, except for the following:

  • property drainage other than connection to the existing concrete kerb and channel
  • existing stormwater pit or inter-allotment drain where the catchment drainage is less than 500 metres2
  • where the flow from the catchment has not been redirected from the natural form.

The design of the proposed drainage system for the building shall be such that the upstream drainage is not adversely affected and that the downstream drainage system is capable of adequately catering for the discharge of the additional flow produced as a result of the building or structure.

Report stormwater drainage issues

Visit Report a problem – Roads and footpaths to let us know about drainage issues on City land. If the issue is urgent and presents a risk to public safety, please contact us on 07 5667 5974 as soon as possible.

To report private properties that are affected by stormwater run-off from a neighbouring property visit Report a problem – Development Compliance.

Further information

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page