National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Filming and photography

The Gold Coast is one of Australia’s most beautiful cities and is often used as a filming back drop.

You must have a permit to film or take photographs for commercial purposes on City-managed areas. Examples of activities needing a permit include:

  • television shows and commercials
  • still photography (not including wedding photography)
  • student filming
  • feature films.

Our City Standards Group (CSG) is a ‘one stop shop’ for filming and still photography applicants. They liaise with stakeholders and will support you throughout the filming process.

How to apply for a permit

Apply online using the form below.

Apply online

Alternatively, download a copy of the form, scan and email it to us or submit at one of our customer service centres.

You must submit the following documentation with your application:

  • a copy of your Broadform Public liability insurance
  • for large productions, a site plan showing:
    • the location of filming, unit base, essentials, set, any equipment or activity that may impact the public
  • if you need to close a road or footpath, a Traffic Management Plan provided by a certified Traffic Management company.

Permit assessment time frames

Most permit applications take seven (7) business days to assess.

We need more time to assess shoots that may impact the public, e.g. those needing secured parking, road closures or set construction.

Permit application fees

Please refer to the application form for the current fee amount.

The permit application fee may be reduced to nil ($0) if you prove:

  • you own, rent or lease a rateable property within the City of Gold Coast
  • are a registered charity
  • voluntary sporting organisation
  • community group
  • religious group
  • incorporated not for profit organisation.

If claiming eligibility, you must attach evidence with your application. Evidence can include:

  • a signed lease agreement, details of property ownership
  • ASIC documentation detailing 'Principal place of business'
  • two bills (within last six months) detailing residential address
  • registration with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC).

Location fees

Location fees are not required to film on most City-managed open areas, e.g. roads, parks and beaches.

If you need to use a City facility, e.g. aquatic and community centres, a fee may be applicable.


Bond payments are sometimes required, e.g. when there is a risk of damage to public infrastructure.

We will tell you if a bond is required when we've assessed your application.


You must provide a copy of your Broadform Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency. The sum insured must be a minimum of $10 million (AUD).

Film attraction program

Our Film Attraction Program provides location assistance and a financial incentive package.

Contact us

Please call City Laws Approvals on 07 5667 5987 for more information.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page