Fort Lauderdale is located in the state of Florida in the United States. It lies on the Atlantic coast, 37 kilometres north of Miami. Embraced by the Atlantic Ocean, New River and a myriad of scenic inland waterways, Fort Lauderdale also takes the nickname of the "Venice of America". Fort Lauderdale has moved on from its original tourism based economy to include a diverse range of industries such as marine, manufacturing, finance, insurance, real estate, high technology, aerospace, and film and television production.
Return to top
- Agreement with City of Gold Coast: Sister City, 1980.
- Population: Fort Lauderdale has a population of approximately 178,800.
- Language: English is the official language spoken in Fort Lauderdale.
- Location: Fort Lauderdale is located in the United States of America in the state of Florida. It lies on the Atlantic coast, approximately 37 kilometres north of Miami.
- Climate: Fort Lauderdale has a tropical climate with hot, humid summers, and warm, dry winters. The temperature ranges from an average of 25°C in winter to an average of 31°C in summer. The hurricane season starts in June and ends in November, while September and October are the months most affected.
- Distance from the Gold Coast: Approximately 20 hours by plane.
- Local time: The local time of Fort Lauderdale is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) -5 which is fifteen hours behind the Gold Coast.
- Official city website: www.fortlauderdale.gov