Taipei is located at the northern tip of the island of Taiwan. Most of the city is situated around the Taipei Basin, which joins to form the Tamsui River along the city's western border. Taipei serves as a financial and cultural centre and has been a focal point of rapid economic development and a leader in smart technology.
- Agreement with City of Gold Coast: Sister City, 1982
- Population: Taipei has a population of 2.6 million however the population of Greater Taipei is close to 7 million.
- Language: The official language spoken in Taipei is Mandarin.
- Location: Taipei is located in the north of the island, in the valley of the Tamsui River.
- Climate: Taipei has a subtropical climate with muggy, hot, rainy summers and cold, damp winters. The annual average temperature is 23.6 degrees celsius, with an average of 29.4 degrees celsius in summer and 11.0 degrees celsius in winter. The pacific typhoon season occurs between June and October. Taipei does not experience a harsh winter, but most rainfall occurs during May and June.
- Distance from the Gold Coast: Approximately 12 hours by plane.
- Local time: The local time of Taipei is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)+8 making it two hours behind the Gold Coast.
- Official city website: https://english.gov.taipei/
Taipei is a modern, bustling city mixed with traditional architecture and contemporary buildings. Known for its tall, bamboo-like skyscraper Taipei 101, the city has an eclectic mix of high-end shops, lively night markets and an exciting street-food scene. From food and shopping, to temples and museums, and hiking and hot springs, there is so much to discover in Taipei.
Visit Undiscovered Taipei to find out more.
Return to top