City of Gold Coast

Navigation Search

State government

In the Australian federal system there are three levels of government: Federal, State and Local. Each level of government has its own responsibilities, although many responsibilities are shared in various ways.

Listed below are the roles and responsibilities for State Government, the second level of Australian Government.

Select from the alphabet links below to jump through the list.



To report or enquire about the removal or disturbance of asbestos contact:


For enquiries about building, builders insurance or owner builders contact:


For enquiries about enrolments, elections, by-elections and State Government referendums contact:

Applications to enrol to vote are available from City of Gold Coast Customer Service Centres, Post Offices and the AEC office at 3 Short Street, Southport.


To report the loss of power supply or faulty street lighting contact Energex:


Rules and responsibilities govern the erection of fences between neighbouring properties. For information about disputes contact:

Fire ants

To report or for enquiries contact:

City of Gold Coast's Pest Management team can only identify species. Take the sealed specimen, labelled with your name, address and phone number to any City Customer Service Centre. It will be forwarded to Pest Management (1300 GOLDCOAST) for identification.

Fire bans

Enquiries should referred to Queensland Rural Fire Service on 07 5587 4101.

Fire restrictions

Backyard burn-offs are permitted when fire restrictions are not in force and they comply with City by-laws. 
Visit LG (Local Government) Toolbox for more information, including a downloadable "Smoke fact sheet".

For general enquiries or to obtain a permit to light a fire contact:

Gold Coast University Hospital


To report an act of graffiti contact your local police station (refer to White Pages under Police) or call Crimestoppers 1800 333 000.

Health - Aged care

For an assessment call 07 5519 8412.  

Health - Child

Child health services operate across the Gold Coast and include safety, post natal care and health screening:

Health nurses visit most chemists to make baby health assessments.

Children's immunisation services: From January 2016, Queensland Health’s Gold Coast Public Health Unit will provide immunisation clinics for children and the Queensland School Immunisation Program (SIP).

Health - Community

Community health services operate across the Gold Coast and include women's, public, home and community care programs.

Health - Dental

Public call centre 1300 300 850 or contact participating schools.

Health - Mental

Mental health services operate across the Gold Coast.

For emergency psychiatric service call 07 5567 2000 or contact your local hospital.

Hospital - Gold Coast University Hospital

Housing - Public

Enquiries about public housing, priority housing, public housing home loans and rental bonds and grants contact:

Housing - Rental

The Residential Tenancies Authority assists with the rights and responsibilities of people renting flats, houses, caravans, townhouses, mobile homes, houseboats, hostels, aged care rentals and boarding houses, contact:

Justices of the Peace

To find a Justice of the Peace in your suburb visit or your local shopping centre.

Navigational hazard/waterways

To report navigation hazards in our waterways contact:

Neighbour disputes


Contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Hotline 1300 130 372 for:

Commercial and industrial premises (includes high-rises)

Includes factories, noisy motors, vehicles, car parks, public address systems, music, sporting and entertainment venues.

Parks reserves and waterways

Water sports and jet skis - excessive noise between:

Place of worship - amplified noise

Contact your local Police station for noise relating to car engines, trail bikes on residential properties, firecrackers, parties, amplified music from residential properties.

Contact City of Gold Coast for:

Contact Air Services Australia 1300 302 240 for aircraft noise.

Noises such as loud wind chimes - see Neighbour Disputes.

Owner builders

For enquiries on faulty building works, or regarding Builders Insurance contact:


For life-threatening situations call 000.

Call your local police station (under Police in the White Pages) about:

Public transport

For information about:

Or visit a customer service centre at:


For enquiries, complaints, bookings, timetable information call 13 16 17 or visit one of the railway stations:


The Department of Transport and Main Roads is responsible for the building and maintenance of State (includes Federal) controlled roads, such as major arterial and connecting roads. It is also responsible for maintaining roadside vegetation, vending and advertising on these roads.

To report speeding on state-controlled roads contact your local Police Station.

For the installation of speed minimisation devices contact:


To report cruelty to animals call 1300 852 188.

Location of animal shelters:


The State Emergency Service assists with flood, storm damage, searches and natural disaster related activities.



For a comprehensive list of Gold Coast schools visit White Pages under Schools - State and Non-Government.

Enquiries contact:

Street lights

To report faulty street lights contact:

Suburb boundary changes



For complaints about building or work quality, or for a list of registered Termite Controllers, contact:

Title searches

Enquiries including land tax, registered plans, survey plans and contour maps contact:


For enquiries or complaints contact:


For advice on neighbour disputes contact:

For advice on tree removals contact:

Walking trails

For management, maintenance, walking trails, camping and horse riding trails in national parks and state forests contact:

Back  Return to top