CREATIVE GOLD activation opportunity
CREATIVE GOLD will be a series of onsite activation at eight events within the City of Gold Coast’s calendar of events. These events attract families who may or may not currently attend arts and culture based events already part of the city’s calendar. The goal is to showcase the arts and cultural offerings on the Gold Coast – and some which are yet to be discovered. Through these activations people will become more aware of local arts and culture activities, the work of the City to develop the sector and the type of events available throughout the year.
The goal is to create and present activations that draw crowds and garner interest and engagement. Two promotional staff will support the activations by encouraging people attending the events to subscribe to wearegc.com.au and stay connected to events and arts and culture updates throughout the year.
Through the EOI, artists are invited to outline ideas and concepts for activations. These might be an adaption of existing works or brand new ideas designed especially for this context. Ideas and concepts that have a strong Gold Coast flavour; are inventive and fun will be favourably received.
The performance/activation may be scripted or unscripted, random or carefully orchestrated; spontaneous or otherwise carefully planned with or without audience participation, static or roving. It should be able to take place in any type of venue or setting, be completely self contained and can be performed for ideally between ten and twenty minutes at any one time. The actions of the individual or a group at a particular place and in a particular time constitute the work.
The successful artists will then be commissioned to realise, deliver and perform the activations. They will be expected to present at 2 to 3 events over a ten month period from October 2018 to June 2019.
Applications close Monday 3 September 2018 by 11.59pm AEST. Successful applicants will be notified no later than Monday 10 September 2018.
In 2013, the City adopted Culture Strategy 2023, a 10-year plan for the development of arts and culture on the Gold Coast. Creative Gold will support the achievement of Key Actions 1.1 Digital Hub – ‘A virtual world that articulates our creative, liveable city’ and 1.5 Cultural Tourism – ‘Promoting the distinct culture of the Gold Coast’ - In partnership with Gold Coast Tourism and other key stakeholders, we will develop a cultural tourism plan that promotes our culture and builds the city’s reputation as a creative, vibrant city’, with outcomes speaking primarily to Strategic Outcome 1 - ‘A growing reputation for our cultural tourism and unique visitor experiences’.
Is this for me?
This opportunity is available to individuals and/or teams of performers living and working on the Gold Coast. Applicants may also connect with the following areas of practice: performance art, physical theatre, dance, theatre and/or circus.
How will it work?
The range of events over the course of this activation are broad; as a minimum there will be a 3m x 3m space that will be dressed with Creative Gold and City reputation affirming marketing and promotional material as a designated zone. Two promotional staff will base themselves in this zone. Each event may differ slightly and the work produced will have to be mobile and responsive to the spaces allocated. It may also roving within a defined area.
It is not expected that you will have extensive props or staging as there will be minimal space and limited opportunity for set up, however, this can be negotiated.
Your performance/activation will be supported by promotional staff, who will be issued and briefed with city reputation and arts and culture key messaging. The activation provided by the successful artist should be aimed at generating interest and a crowd – to begin to alter perceptions about arts and culture on the Gold Coast. The ten to twenty minute performance/activations will take place repeatedly, and as often as possible, over a five hour period at each event.
It is proposed that these activations will occur at approximately 8 major events, for a total of 10 activation days, spread across 10 months, from October through to June 2019. Selected event details will be advised shortly but may include events such as Gold Coast 600, International T20 Cricket and Australia Day celebrations. All events will be local to the Gold Coast.
Three commissions are available.
- Artist Fee: An all up fee of $8100 will be paid to each artist/or group of artists to create, build, rehearse and present work at 3 to 4 City event activations.
- For the commission fee you will be expected to present this work/body of work 3 to 4 times over a 10 month period from October 2018 to June 2019.
- The 10 to 20 minute performance/activation at each event will take place at regular intervals during a five hours period i.e. a 20 minute performance might activate 4 or 5 times over the 5 hour period (the frequency of the activations will be considered based on the intensity and type of performance).
Applicants will be required to submit the following:
- Completed application cover sheet
- CV (one page max)
- Any relevant support material, such as samples of past work – PDF or web links preferred (three examples max)
- Applications close: Monday 3 September 2018
- Notify selected artists: Monday 10 September 2018
- Meet with selected artists to confirm schedules: Wednesday 12 September 2018
When assessing entries the selection committee will consider the following:
- Demonstrated high quality approach to art form, with focus on strong performance outcomes and relevance to arts and culture on the Gold Coast;
- Originality of content; and
- Demonstrated ability to develop a piece or body of work that has strong audience appeal and engagement.
Applications will be assessed by the selection panel. The successful applicants will be selected based on the strength of their application and demonstrated experience.
After applicants have been notified of the outcome of their applications, successful applicants will meet with Nicole Williams, Team Leader City Reputation and a member of the Art and Culture team to discuss project schedules, activities and outcomes going forward - in consultation with the Arts and Culture unit.
The selection panel will comprise:
- Cecile Knight, Senior Arts and Culture Project Officer
- Libby Lincoln, Executive Coordinator Arts and Culture
- A representative from City Events
To be eligible for this program you MUST:
- Demonstrate a significant connection to the Gold Coast (resident here or resident nearby/work here).
- Be a permanent resident or Australian citizen.
- Be over 18 years of age at the date of application.
- Entrants must be mostly available for the schedule from October 2018 to June 2019.
- You must have an ABN and public liability insurance.
If you are unsure of your eligibility, you are strongly encouraged to phone the Arts and Culture Unit on 07 5582 9258 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation before completing the application form.
How to apply
Applications closed at midnight Monday 3 September 2018.
Return to top