Any metered standpipe used to draw water from the City of Gold Coast's reticulation system must be hired through the City on a long-term or short-term basis. Please consider the following information before you hire a metered standpipe.
The hire of metered standpipes is subject to the City Plan - Land development guidelines (Schedule 6.11).
If you are able to use potable water, carefully read the Approval for supply of potable water through a metered standpipe document.
To arrange the hire of a metered standpipe please complete the Metered standpipe approval application form and an Application for credit account.
The City will assess the application and notify you by telephone or in writing of the outcome.
There are two types of metered standpipe hire permits:
- long-term hire for any length of time over eight weeks with a security bond deposit and a daily hire rate, plus the cost of the water usage per kilolitre
- short-term hire for up to two months, with a two-day minimum hire charge followed by an extra daily hire fee, plus the cost of the water usage per kilolitre.
Download and view current metered standpipe hire rates.
- Domestic water carriers - Potable water carriers for the delivery of water to residential properties outside of the City's infrastructure must be registered businesses and act within the approval conditions. Water carriers are required to hold a current health inspection certificate and backflow certificate and be an approved carrier under the Food Act 2006 before they can obtain a metered standpipe.
- Water carriers in general - Potable water carriers for other uses apart from domestic use must be registered businesses and act within the conditions of the approval. Water carriers are required to hold a current backflow certificate before they can obtain a metered standpipe.
- Water users in general - Potable water users that use water straight from the City's infrastructure must be registered businesses and act within the approval conditions.
See also the rules for use of City of Gold Coast's reticulation system.
The City provides a special short-term water meter to approved customers to access potable water in a dual reticulated area. For more information please read the Accessing potable water in a dual reticulated area fact sheet.
The City operates both potable and recycled water filling stations. Registered businesses can access these sites with approval from the City.
Enquiries relating to metered standpipe hire, issuing, reading and points of connection into the reticulation system should be directed to the City on 1300 000 928, or firstname.lastname@example.org.