Mermaid Waters – Surfers Avenue road reconstruction
Commencing: August 2020
Completion: October 2020
Cost: $1.26 million
We will be reconstructing Surfers Avenue, Mermaid Waters (Vatakoula Parade roundabout to Little Tallebudgera Creek west bridge inclusive) to improve the overall condition of the road surface and reduce the need for regular maintenance.
The works will include upgrading kerb and channel and installing a two metres wide footpath on the northern side of Surfers Avenue.
- Road resurfacing of Surfers Avenue will include the removal and replacement of asphalt for an approximate distance of 320 metres (Vatakoula Parade roundabout to Little Tallebudgera Creek west bridge inclusive).
- Kerb and channel to be installed on both sides of Surfers Avenue to replace existing semi-mountable kerb and channel.
- A two metre wide footpath will be constructed along the northern side only of Surfers Avenue to replace the existing substandard footpath.
- Driveway crossovers will be reconstructed where they front Surfers Avenue.
- Gully pits will be upgraded along Surfers Avenue to Department of Transport and Main Roads specifications.
- Reinstate traffic control devices (including raised platforms to current standards), line marking and reflectors.
- As part of this project, Little Tallebudgera Creek west bridge will have existing guard rail upgraded to current standards.
Construction will commence in August 2020 and will be completed in 10 weeks, weather permitting. Civil works will be completed during the day between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Friday (and Saturday as required). Resurfacing works will also be completed during the day.
During construction, there will be temporary changes to traffic conditions along Surfers Avenue. We will continue to work with the community to minimise disruptions. However, local residents and businesses may be impacted by limited access, traffic disruption, parking restrictions, detours, construction noise and dust.
Please slow down around roadworks and take extra care in the area.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve our city.
Benefits for the community
- improved road surface and amenity
- a decrease in maintenance works along Surfers Avenue
- a widened footpath to improve safety for pedestrian and cyclists, and to encourage active travel.
For more information please contact the Project Manager on 07 5667 3702.
Extent of works
Return to top